‘I Am Not Okay with This’ offers a promising first season

by Emily Worrell On October 24, 2017, Netflix released the first season of The End of the F***ing World, a series based off the graphic novel of the same title by Charles Forsman. The show followed troubled teens James and Alyssa as they ran away from their homes to look for satisfaction somewhere else, and it became an unexpected hit. Flash forward to November 4, 2019, and the highly anticipated second season of the show dropped to the delight of audiences and critics alike. About two weeks later, writer Charlie Cowell announced that the show would not be continuing on for a third season, to the disappointment of many fans. Where else would we get a show that put so much teen angst into such an upbeat and interesting package? Flash forward to February 3, 2020, and the first teaser trailer for a new Netflix show called I Am Not Okay with This drops. To fans of the show, the trailer no doubt felt familiar in tone, and for good reason: this new show would be based off of a graphic novel by Charles Forsman, the same man who wrote The End of the F***ing World. Meanwhile, the show was created by none other than Jonathan Entwistle, who directed and created the television series The End of the F***ing World. This left fans like myself both excited and apprehensive: would this new show be able to come close to what The End of the F***ing World had been for us, or would it just feel like a weak attempt to recreate what was over and done? I Am Not Okay with This follows high schooler Sydney Novak, who struggles with the adolescent issues of friendships, family, her sexuality, and managing her feelings, all while still grappling with the fact that her dad committed suicide last year. When strange things start happening all around Sydney, she realizes that there are forces inside of her that she does not know how to control.

Well-handled mature themes 

Image from IMDb

Not a lot happens

Image from IMDb

Strong cast with palpable chemistry

Image from IMDb
It

IMDb IMDb