Celebrating ‘Pokemon Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Eevee!’: The top ten objectively best Gen 1 Pokemon

by Tanner Kinney The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte's editorial board. Pokemon is one of the most beloved game franchises of all time. Millions around the world are engrossed in the franchise, whether it be through the main series games, getting deep into competitive battling, or valiantly trying to reclaim to local gym at the Pizza Hut for Team Valor in Pokemon Go, it’s hard to escape the franchise. I’ve never stopped loving Pokemon, and of course have my own personal favorites, but that’s lame to talk about. Personal favorites usually suck anyways and are low-tier trash Pokemon. Today, we’re taking a different approach to selecting the best Pokemon. To celebrate the release of another Gen 1 remake/sequel/reboot in Pokemon: Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee (pronounced roughly like “Ay-vay,” as shown by the first trailer for the game), we’re going to analyze using hard science to determine which ten Gen 1 Pokemon are objectively the best. This hard science will include exclusively classic Gen 1 Pokedex entries, competitive tier lists, anime appearances, and strength in the manga Pokemon Adventures. In some cases, Gen 1 logic (Psychic-types having only one weakness, broken critical hit system, etc.) will be used to determine Pokemon strength. There will also be no ties, because ties are a cop-out and there’s always a way to decide, objectively, which Pokemon is the best. By deciding objectively, not only is this list superior to biased “top ten Pokemon” lists, but surely no one on the internet can argue with the hard science presented in encyclopedia entries written by actual 10-year-olds and then interpreted by nerds on the internet. There are a few noticeable absences though, and I’ll get those out of the way now: the legendary bird trio (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres) are absent because to dispatch two of three of them you just need to chuck a rock at them. Mewtwo is also absent because this list is organic and GMO-free, for your health and mine.

10. Flareon

Image from Bulbapedia
Pokemon Stadium Steelforge.com

9. Jigglypuff

Image from Bulbapedia
Super Smash Bros

8. Nidoking

Image from Bulbapedia

7. Slowbro

Image from Bulbapedia

6. Machamp

Image from Bulbapedia

5. Alakazam

Image from Bulbapedia
Rick and Morty

4. Muk

Image from Bulbapedia

3. Ditto

Image from Bulbapedia

2. Mew

Image from Bulbapedia

1. Porygon

Image from Bulbapedia
700 seizures in Japanese people Pokemon: Let’s Go Pikachu Eevee
Bulbapedia CNN Bulbapedia