Heartland Film Festival: 'Weed the People' makes an emotional, compelling case for legal cannabis

by Emily Reuben Cancer is a devastating illness that no one should have to endure, and this is especially true regarding children. Childhood is meant to be an innocent, fun time in a person’s life, but sadly many children are denied a normal childhood due to the debilitating disease. Medical advances have greatly increased the survival rate for those afflicted, but there is still a limit to what modern medicine can do. When all else fails, we turn to other alternative measures. [embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mnzL8nL3lE[/embed] Despite indications that cannabis has anti-cancer properties, the use of cannabis in the medical field is highly controversial. In many states, doctors are largely forbidden from prescribing cannabis, preventing families from but for those in desperate situation the law literally stands between a potential cure and sure death. Weed the People follows various families with children looking to cannabis for treatment. Admittedly, the film is very depressing. Watching these children who should be outside playing with friends or watching television are stuck in bed, visibly uncomfortable, or have been given less than favorable news can be heartbreaking but also inspiring. Despite all of the hardships, the children that the film follows are all amazingly brave and determined, and Weed the People never stops showing off the courage of them and their families. I cried multiple times through the duration of the film, both due to happiness and deep sadness. In terms of emotional impact, Weed the People is incredibly moving, beautiful, and respectful to the subject’s situations. The documentary, using much appreciated expert testimony, makes the case for the legalization of cannabis. Considering how controversial medical cannabis is, I was initially concerned that Weed the People may lean toward propaganda rather than a solid, unbiased documentary. For the most part, it doesn’t, which is a huge relief. The film is certainly slanted towards promoting medical cannabis, but it is very responsible in its advocacy. Something that I thought was very interesting and useful for those considering medical cannabis is the documentary’s assertion that unregulated cannabis can be dangerous or even deadly, further emphasizing responsible, legal usage. I found myself being swept in completely by the film, a testament to just how effective it is, and I’m going to assume many other viewers will have a similar experience. Somebody could certainly watch this film and decide against medical advisory in favor of a strict cannabis treatment after seeing this glowing endorsement. The film never promotes cannabis as a sure-fire solution to cancer, but it certainly does emphasize just how incredibly effective cannabis can be. Again, the filmmakers in no way state a person shouldn’t consult a medical professional; this is just a concern that entered my mind after viewing the film. However, ultimately the responsibility is on the viewer to weigh the pros and cons, do the appropriate research and reach their own conclusion. Despite this slight concern, Weed the People is an incredibly good documentary that I think everyone should watch. The cinematography is great, the editing choices are coherent and smooth, and many audience members will likely be moved to action. Children deserve to grow up just like everyone else, and if a little plant can help make that happen then legalization is at least worth serious consideration.

Featured Image: IMDb