‘Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon’ is the perfectly portioned appetizer to IGA’s main course

By Tanner Kinney Disclaimer: This review is of the PC version and was conducted on a PC with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, i7, 8GBs of RAM. Castlevania is one of the original platformer franchises and a legend among fans of the genre. Yet Castlevania, along with its NES brother-in-arms Mega Man, was mishandled by the publisher for the longest time until eventually just getting put in cryostasis until someone could figure out what to do with it. While Capcom has decided to revive Mega Man in a big way with Mega Man 11, Konami has let their respective franchise fade to dust, with only a pachinko game being released under the Castlevania name. The producer behind Castlevania, Koji Igarashi, made a Kickstarter to launch their own spiritual successor to Castlevania, named Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. This isht similar to when Keiji Inafune swindled desperate Mega Man fans into funding a poorly managed rush-job called Mighty Number 9. Fortunately, if Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (developed by IntiCreates, rather than Igarashi himself) is anything to judge by, the future is looking much brighter for fans of classic Castlevania.

A true retro experience that’s beautifully stanky

Image from Steam
Shovel Knight Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon Castlevania. Castlevania, Castlevania
Mega Man Castlevania

Castlevania gameplay that is mostly a blessing, but sometimes a curse

Image from Steam
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon Castlevania Castlevania III Castlevania IV Castlevania III. Castlevania Castlevania. Castlevania Castlevania Bloodstained. Castlevania- Bloodstained
Image from Steam
Castlevania Castlevania. Bloodstained Castlevania

Difficulty and length that exceed expectations

Image from Steam
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon Bloodstained Castlevania Castlevania Bloodstained
IGN