Did the Streamys neglect up-and-coming YouTubers?

by Ben Sapet As a platform, the internet offers an incredible degree of creative freedom and accessibility for anyone with a camera, internet access and an idea. This openness and low-barrier to entry has given creators a remarkable opportunity to pursue traditionally “unmarketable” ideas, reach audiences and make a living doing so. Why, then, is the winners list from this year’s Streamy Awards peppered with celebrities and productions backed by media-giants? There are two types of Streamy Awards: Audience Choice and Overall. Creators submit their content to The Streamys where a “Blue Ribbon Panel” of individuals from a variety of areas within the umbrella of online video selects all the nominees and the winners of the Overall awards. The Streamys selection process is essentially a somewhat democratized version of the traditional award show formula. Based on the formatting it should come as no surprise that dick clark productions (producer of The Golden Globes, the American Music Awards and several other household names) also puts on The Streamys.

While The Streamy Awards have the power to recognize and promote up-and-coming voices and projects that reflect the spirit of the internet – they’ve undermined that power with choices that frame the internet as Hollywood Jr. rather than a valid end in itself.
Sugar Pine 7 Sugar Pine 7’s delightfully weird campaign to incentivize their audience to vote . Somewhere Over The Rainbow Logan feat. Deadpool. .
  • Verizon’s go90 originals Mr. Student Body President, Cold, and Psycho Family winning Ensemble Cast, Directing, Drama Series and Documentary awards.
  • The HBO-produced Brown Girls winning Best Indie series (which raises serious questions about what The Streamys judges think indie means).
Sugar Pine 7 post Show of the Year win, image from TubeFilter

The Verge The Streamy Awards dick clark productions,  TubeFilter