Hillary Clinton began last Saturday by giving an address at the Human Rights Campaign breakfast. She spoke about how far the LGBT community has come in the past few years in regard to legislation. According to Clinton, everyone within the community wishes they could “kick back,” but with the current state, “there are still public officials doing everything in their power to interfere with [LGBT] rights.” She describes the struggle against this as the constant defense of progress they’ve made. Clinton mentions several Republicans, rebuking them for their actions against the LGBT community. She uses a poignant story of a young man featured in the blog Humans of New York who was distraught and scared of his future because of his homosexuality, to show that the fight is not yet over. As she says, it isn’t over “until every single person is treated with equal rights and dignity.” She says she’s running for president to end the injustices faced by LGBT Americans once and for all.

As well as delivering an early breakfast speech, Hillary appeared that evening on Saturday Night Live, playing Val the bartender in a skit with presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, played here by Kate McKinnon, who is coincidentally, SNL’s first openly lesbian cast member. Appearing like this, Hillary advertises her views, shows that she can have some fun, and according to NPR, “embraces her image.” For example, slipping in a jab at the keystone pipeline and several at Republican opponent Donald Trump, including an impression of the republican candidate by the real Hillary. In the skit, an actor thanks Clinton – er, McKinnon’s character that is – for the steps she’s taken for gay marriage. The bartender and Clinton then go back and forth about how long she took to support gay marriage (her support didn’t begin until 2013, well after both Vice President Biden and President Obama, according to USA Today). The skit ends with Val and McKinnon’s Clinton, arm in arm, belting out, none too harmonically, “Lean on Me.”

Hillary’s long day might have gone very differently if there hadn’t been some flexibility in the agenda of the Human Rights Campaign. Her address to the HRC was first to be at a gala in the evening, but Clinton declined in order to appear on SNL, according to the New York Times. To have her, the HRC actually rearranged their schedule, which is unsurprising considering the raucous applause and chanting of the presidential candidate’s name in the midst of her address. Hillary, though often depicted as elitist and wooden, has actually appeared on SNL before in 2008, alongside her former impersonator, Amy Poehler. Lately, she’s also been a guest on NBC’s “Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon and “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.” It seems like she’s trying to break away from her old, stodgy stereotype, with Val the bartender even saying to McKinnon’s Hillary, “You give off such a young, cool vibe.”

During both her speech and cameo, Clinton stayed away from more scandalous topics, such as her emails, as well as any democratic competitors, and the possibility of Vice President Biden’s running for president. She instead focused on adding to her platform a pledge to LGBT Americans, including among other promises, an end to injustice for them and their families, the signing of the federal Equality Act into law, and the protection of rights of transgender people, most especially transgender women of color. Even though she’s been fighting for equality for some time, according to Hillary, she’s “just getting warmed up.”