Inform Muncie

Inform Muncie is a student-led news outlet committed to collaborative and inclusive storytelling in our community. We give voice to untold stories and under-recognized people and neighborhoods.

The Ball State Daily

Building Hope: Isaiah 117 House to provide safe home for children awaiting foster placement

Hannah Coffman and all the Isaiah 117 House volunteers at the Sunday meeting in the Patterson Building in downtown Muncie.

Indiana is home to nearly 31,000 children in foster care and has the fourth-highest rate of youth in foster care in the nation, according to the state’s Board of Education.

Hannah Coffman knows the statistics. She and her husband, Tim, fostered kids in Muncie for seven years. Each time, they would get a call to pick up the child from an institution. Hannah said the kids “had nothing” as they waited for hours or days for foster placement.

The Coffmans searched for ways they could provide for children during this difficult time of transition. With degrees in elementary and special education, Hannah talked with former colleagues and searched online. She learned about Isaiah 117 House, a nonprofit that has 22 homes in 12 states for children awaiting foster care placement.

The homes have served a total of about 2,440 children; and in 2021, the Coffmans applied to establish an Isaiah 117 House in Muncie — with the hope that “no child will ever have to go to the DCS office on removal day,” Hannah said.

"For too long, children in our community have endured hours, sometimes days, in sterile office settings after being removed from their homes," said Hannah, who serves as the Isaiah 117 House location leader for Delaware County. "Now, with the establishment of Isaiah 117 House, we're changing that narrative.”

Hannah said she envisions the Muncie location as “a place where children can find solace and support during what might be the most challenging time of their lives.” She has built a board of volunteers and gathered support from individuals and businesses throughout the region.

A home for holistic support

Their mission is clear: to reduce the trauma children experience when they are removed from their homes, to support placement families, and to alleviate the workload of caseworkers working with children and families. The house will also have a visitation space for birth families to have supervised visits with their children in state custody.

“Isaiah 117 House is more than just a house,” Hannah said. “It symbolizes collective compassion and solidarity. Everything we do is community-based.”

That community has come together to make Coffman’s dream a reality. Hannah said neighbors have donated funds to secure land and break ground on the home this summer, with the goal of being operational by winter 2024. The group’s Facebook page is filled with posts that thank neighbors for donating books, stuffed animals, blankets, clothes and toys.

Coffman said the impact of the Isaiah 117 House extends beyond its physical presence. It’s about giving children dignity and comfort during their most vulnerable moments, she added. Items, like stuffed animals, help children feel seen and valued.

"We want these kids to know their worth," she added. "From warm meals to brand-new clothes, every detail is thoughtfully curated to ease their transition into placement."

Collaboration is at ‘the heart’ of the home

Hannah said collaboration lies at the heart of Isaiah 117 House’s success. From partnering with local agencies to raising awareness in the broader community, Hannah said she and her team are determined to fill the gaps in the foster care system.

"We work alongside other organizations to amplify each other's efforts," she said. "Together, we're building a network of support that ensures no child falls through the cracks."

The Coffmans said they are hopeful Isaiah 117 House becomes a national model for compassion and care. "Our goal is to reduce trauma,” Hannah said. “We want to keep siblings together and to ensure every child's best interests are at the forefront.”

Yorktown resident Jennifer Everetts shares the Coffman’s passion for serving children. About a year ago, she saw signs around town promoting the Isaiah 117 House and its work to support children entering foster care.

“I researched the organization and felt an immediate connection to its mission,” said Everetts, who owns Let There Be Art and Escape Muncie. “Isaiah 117 House represents more than just a physical space: it embodies hope, compassion and a commitment to changing how foster care begins.”

The call for ongoing support

Everetts said every volunteer brings a unique story and passion to the table, but they are united by a common goal to serve those in need. They come together to raise awareness about the home and its ongoing needs.

Hannah said the greatest need is for people and organizations in the community to become Sock Buddies, or monthly donors, to provide ongoing support on which the home can depend.

Learn more about Isaiah 117 House and how to volunteer or donate. Keep up with the organization on Facebook for the latest news and events.

All Inform Muncie articles are written by students in the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication in a classroom environment with a faculty adviser.

Recent Stories