Songkran Festival – Thai New Year celebration

MUNCIE, Ind. — The Thailand New Year, also known as Songkran, fell this past weekend. Ball State University’s Global Harmony Student Organization hosted a Songkran Festival in honor of the holiday.

The holiday took place from April 13 through April 15. It represents washing away the past year and celebrating the upcoming year.

“I’ve really enjoyed thinking through this frame of mind, embracing this point in spring. Leaves are beginning to grow trees and flowers are beginning to bloom. We are renewed,” Becca Polcz Rice, Vice President for Governmental Relations and Industry Engagement, said.

The event began with speeches by those who worked to organize the festival. After this, they had a piano performance. This was followed by a traditional parade and water-pouring ceremony. The ceremony ended with cultural dances and an orchestrated musical performance.

Global Harmony’s President, Sakdidach Nobpatsorn, said, “It was an honor to have the Royal Thai Consulate attend their celebration.”

“This evening provides a journey through Thai culture. The Thai ... Songkran Exhibition will showcase the essence of the Thai New Year,” Urasee Thiratangsathira Jeong, Royal Thai General Consulate, said.

Outside of the ceremony, exhibit tables held artwork that displayed Thai culture. The event also offered a buffet table lined with popular Thai foods. There was also 3D printing and informative posters. 

Nobpatsorn passionately shared his vision for the event, which was to foster cultural understanding and unity by sharing their rich Thai culture with people from diverse backgrounds. His hope was to inspire a sense of appreciation and respect for the Thai New Year and its traditions.

According to Jeong, the overall message behind the event was to embrace the culture of the Thai New Year.

Contact Brooke Follrad with comments at brooke.follrad@bsu.edu.