Ball State Director of Athletics wraps first year

MUNCIE, Ind. —  Ball State Athletics is much more than what is seen on game days. 

Ball State Director of Athletics Jeff Mitchell loved what he witnessed in his first year with the program.

“I think what strikes me as being our biggest accomplishment is just the success that we’ve enjoyed as an athletics department,” said Mitchell.

Over the year, Mitchell and his company have worked to improve facilities for all Ball State athletes. He is also very proud of future projects, including the Championship Performance Center.

Mitchell added, “I believe it’s energy creating. Our students are energized by the fact that we are doing some cosmetic upgrades, that we do have plans for new facilities, and we’re looking forward to what those facilities are going to do for our student-athletes.”  

While domination on game days is important to the department, it’s not the only place where it is looked at to thrive. Mitchell also takes immense pride in Ball State’s ability to emphasize the “student” in student-athletes.

“For all 19 of our sports to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, it’s pretty remarkable,” expressed Mitchell.

With the first year coming and going, the culture that has been built is a great foundation for the department moving forward.

Mitchell noted, “I think we’re a department rooted in positivity. There’s no greater compliment that can be given to someone than to be called a great teammate, and I believe we have a department full of great teammates.”

As improvements continue to happen, Mitchell and the rest of the department will continue to create great environments for all of Ball State Athletics.

Contact Jake Garcia with comments at jaycob.garcia@bsu.edu.