Ball State women’s tennis bounces back with 4-3 victory over Eastern Michigan

Ball State women's tennis head coach Sachin Kirtane watches his team practice Jan. 10 at Muncie YMCA. Kirtane was previously the coach at Mississippi State. Andrew Berger, DN

Ball State women’s tennis improved to 5-10 on the season and 2-1 in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) as they defeated Eastern Michigan 4-3. 

Cardinals head coach Sachin Kirtane felt that after the teams' first matchup with the Eagles, they were still competing and just didn’t get over the hump.

“I’m so proud of them,” Kirtane said. “When we left Ypsilanti, I think the girls really thought they gave up one. So I knew coming in at home we would definitely have a good chance.”

The Cardinals won 2-0 in doubles giving the first point to the red and white.

In No. 1 doubles, freshman Isabel Tanjuatco and Sarah Shahbaz won their match 6-2.

At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Annika Planinsek and junior Ella Hazelbaker took their victory by a score of 6-3.

Planinsek knew that in the first match between these two squads, the Cardinals were not at full strength as they’d been battling through injuries.

“We lost last time, but we only had five people because of two injuries,” Planinsek said. “Coming into this match with the whole lineup was reassuring for us.”

In singles play, Ball State took some punches from the Eagles in a more competitive slate.

In No. 1 singles, Planinsek went on to win her second match of the day in three sets after winning her doubles match. After winning the first set, 6-4, she dropped the second, 2-6,  but fought back to take the match in the third set 6-4.

“At this time of the season, your body’s going to hurt,” Planinsek said. “Everyone’s going to struggle with something but it just shows how tough we are.”

No.2 singles, junior Elena Malykh defeated her opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.

In her first full match of the afternoon, sophomore Sydney Hrehor fell in the No. 3 singles in two sets, 3-6, and 1-6. 

After winning her doubles match, Tanjuatco fell in No. 4 singles by scores of 4-6, 3-6.

At No. 5 singles, Hazelbaker fell to her opponent in three sets, by scores of 2-6, 6-4, and 4-6.

To close out the match, sophomore Jacqueline Pearsall clinched the victory for Ball State in a three-set victory, with scores of 6-3, 2-6, and 6-3.

“If you bring it every single time, and you compete you’re going to have a chance,” Kirtane said. “I’m proud of them, and there’s just one thing that has been the standard for us, and that’s that every girl fights til the last one.”

The Cardinals will be on the road for their next match against Western Michigan 10-5 (1-1) Friday, March 29.

Contact David Moore with comments at david.moore@bsu.edu or on X @gingninj63