Student Government Association Elects Two New Senators to an at large Caucus

Ball State University Student Government Association Vice President Monet Lindstrand discusses her executive report Feb. 21 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Meghan Braddy, DN

At the Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) meeting Feb. 21, senators Bethia Busingye and Quinn Davis were elected. Each senator presented their qualifications and objectives to the senate before their election. 

Busingye's central platform focused on extending the availability of Charlie’s Charter to weekends. 

“There are  a lot of activies that takes place over the weekend here in Muncie, on [and] off campus. So, I think that it would be beneficial for students to have a safe and reliable form of transportation over the weekend,” Busingye said. 

She also wants to make it possible to order ahead for campus dining through GrubHub or a new Ball State mobile app. 

Busingye was elected with 29-1 votes and one abstention.

Davis discussed his desire to improve student safety and emergency preparedness by implementing “exit plans and procedures in all buildings and encouraging safe nightlife with buddy systems.”

He also emphasized his passion for improving the student experience by “revitalizing and expanding student organizations and promoting sporting events to clubs and groups through a census.”

“I believe this is important as it boosts the overall student morale, the social ability of the students and then just getting people excited to come to Ball State in general,” he said.

Davis was elected with 32-0 votes and zero abstentions.

During the meeting, SGA President Joseph Gassensmith gave his executive report, in which he updated the senate on the tree replacement policy that was still being considered by Vice President of Student Affairs Ro-Anne Royer Engle.

However, Gassensmith reported that Jim Lowe, vice president of facilities management, devised a plan wherein an SGA executive worker could provide them with the necessary funding for planting more trees in the future.

Gassensmith also announced that the Executive Camera Committee had approved the implementation of the blue lights at Scheidler Apartments and was waiting for IT equipment to install them.

SGA Vice President Monet Lindstrand updated the senate on Ball State's position with Indiana Senate Bill 202 and discussed upcoming events for sexual assault awareness month in April. 

SGA Treasurer Issac Ledford announced an upcoming budget reallocation to expand their Health, Promotion, and Advocacy (HPA) platform point due to the various events coming up for sexual assault awareness month and other events.

Finally, SGA passed an amendment to make the off-campus appeals process easier and more accessible for students interested in joining SGA with 32-0 votes and no abstentions.

Contact Meghan Braddy with comments via email atmeghan.braddy@bsu.edu or on X @meghan_braddy .