Ball State continues to improve with performance at the IUPUI Invitational

First-year hurdler Mary Porter leaps over hurdles at the Ball State Track and Field We Fly Challenge on April 15 at the University Track at Briner Sports Complex. Katelyn Howell, DN.

The Ball State Cardinals traveled to Indianapolis this weekend to compete in a two-day meet at the IUPUI Invitational.

Starting the two-day event, freshmen Sophie Daugard and Kendra Keesling competed in the Pentathlon. Sophie finished third overall with the highlight of her events coming in the shot put with a throw of 12.05 meters and the long jump distance of 5.09 meters. Kendra Keesling placed 11th with her best results in the 60-meter hurdles, running a 9.93.

Also on Friday, freshman Maci Hoskins finished 10th in the mile running a time of 5:13.24. In the 600-meter dash, senior Alexis Thigpen finished fifth with a time of 1:36.30, and sophomore Leila Williams-Molitor placed sixth with a time of 1:36.65.

Finishing off the day on Friday was the 200-meter dash. Sophomore Alana Springer finished first, running a 24.46, and junior Jenna Oriani finished third, running a 24.59.

“I'm encouraged to see some of the young freshmen and sophomores step up. I'm excited by the senior leadership and how they have continued working, ultimately being selfless, working for each other,” Ball State head coach Adrian Wheatley said. “Successful teams have to go through periods of challenges and championship teams find a way to get it done.”

The Cardinals came in on Saturday with a lively energy. To start the day, junior Mckenna Cinotte placed second in the triple jump, reaching a distance of 11.61. Sophomore Brenna Lehrke placed fourth, jumping a distance of 11.20. Freshman Malina Miller placed second with a mark of 1.65m.

In the 60-meter dash, senior Makayla Sumrall placed first running a 7.58, sophomore Alana Springer placed fourth running a 7.64, junior Jenna Oriani placed sixth running a 7.66, and junior Moriah Johnson finished eighth running a 7.73.

Junior Emma Potter placed second in the 400-meter dash with a run of 56.73 and sophomore Allison Valladay finished eleventh running a 59.52.

Senior Jenelle Rogers finished first in the shot put, throwing 14.79. Rogers also placed first in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.58.

“Energy for the team has been pretty good. We're always cheering each other on, always supporting each other, always watching each other,” Rogers said. “That really just helps us to push each other and carry us throughout the meet. I'm just looking forward to seeing how the team's hard work and efforts will pay off in the future.”

Finishing off the meet was a dominating performance in the 4x400 meter relay. Thigpen, Oriani, Potter, and Rogers placed first with a time of 3:48.30. 

“The energy was super encouraging as we're about the transition to February,” Wheatley said. “It was good just to see the overall support on the different events and people competing in those different event areas there. It was good overall energy.”

The Cardinals look to continue their success as they travel to South Bend to compete in Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational. The event will kick off on Friday, Feb. 2 at 4 pm and 11 am on Saturday, Feb. 3. 

Contact  Amadou Diallo with comments on X @Amadou_Diallo23  or via email at diallo.s.amadou23@gmail.com