‘The Best Hidden Secret’

Assistant teaching professor of criminal justice and criminology Brandy Rocheleau poses for a photo Nov. 13 in front of the Beneficence statue. Rocheleau was one of three projects funded by Women of Beneficence in 2023. Grayson Joslin, DN

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to correct a spelling error. 

When Beth Williams heard there was a group of female Ball State University alumni coming together to create a philanthropic group to support university projects in 2002, she was immediately interested in the opportunity.

These alumni were originally influenced by the Washington Women’s Foundation, a collective group of women across Washington who put together their money to fund organizations and nonprofits.

Williams then became one of the founding members of Discovery, which now goes by the name Women of Beneficence. She believes the greatest thing this group does is give students new opportunities and give women the opportunity to give back to Ball State.

“I feel like I was directing the spending of my money,” she said.

The organization, which has now grown to about 80 active members, has funded immersive learning projects and programs at Ball State for more than two decades, while also providing women an opportunity to network and give back.

Joann Davis, a member of the group’s Board of Directors, first joined Women of Beneficence when someone from the Ball State University Foundation told her about the group. After joining, Davis realized the group was a special experience and pointed to the networking opportunities as an example.

“These younger women coming out of Ball State have a chance to network with philanthropists,” Davis said. “This is a stepping stone for them.”

However, the primary focus of Women of Beneficence is to give grants to various educational programs. Women of Beneficence has given over $1 million over the past two decades to various immersive learning projects.

What made the group stand out in the mind of Karen Belcher was that the group of women was able to direct funds and be able to give grants to various projects. As a fellow member of the board of directors, she is grateful the money she donates is given to places that make the most impact.

“They make the gift giving very personal, and you're involved every step of the way with where that money goes,” Belcher said.

Female alumni of Ball State are not the only people who can join Women of Beneficence. Also included in the organization are spouses of alumni, faculty members and other community leaders.

“You just have to have a love for Ball State,” Belcher said.

Davis said during the most recent application process, there were 12 grant applications. The grant applications were then narrowed down, which were then decided during the group’s annual meeting. The group tries to select and fund projects based on the benefit of not only Ball State students but also the overarching communities as well.

Over the previous few years, correlating with Geoffery Mearns’ tenure as president of Ball State, Women of Beneficence has shifted its focus more to align with the Beneficence Pledge.

Projects such as a high-altitude atmospheric balloon launch, a student farm and a dysphagia clinic have all been funded through Women of Beneficence grants.

One of the 2023 grants was given to a virtual reality courtroom facilitated by Brandy Rocheleau, assistant teaching professor of criminal justice and criminology. She noticed the process of criminal law could be difficult for students because most of it happens behind closed doors.

“Even if they go to court, they're only seeing bits and pieces of what's actually going on,” Rocheleau said.

This led Rocheleau to apply for a Women of Beneficence grant for a virtual courtroom so her students could understand the criminal court setting and also develop empathy for people who are going through the legal process.

Rocheleau’s virtual courtroom was one of three projects funded by Women of Beneficence for 2023; the virtual courtroom was given a grant of $22,846. The virtual courtroom was developed and designed by the on-campus Institute for Digital Intermedia Arts Lab (IDIA Lab). The online program includes various courtrooms, which include models of jurors. One of the courtrooms included is the United States Supreme Court, which includes models of all nine current Supreme Court justices.

Rocheleau said throughout the process of the virtual courtroom coming to life, members of Women of Beneficence have been kind and supportive of the project. She added with each update she provides them, the group responds with enthusiasm.

“I really found that they live up to that name,” Rocheleau said. “I'm so enthused to know that there are so many people out there that are so passionate about Ball State and Beneficence to the point where they're willing to be so generous to fund a project like this.”

Because of their service of philanthropy to the Ball State community, Women of Beneficence has been awarded the Outstanding Philanthropy Group award from the Indiana chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Belcher said she is grateful for the recognition the organization is getting. 

“I felt like we've been the best hidden secret [at Ball State],” Belcher said. “We’ve been this little gem that nobody has discovered until now.”

One lesson Davis learned while being a member of Women of Beneficence is by uniting for a common goal, many positive things can happen, from funding projects to getting to meet other like-minded women.

“It's very fulfilling to spend a day in January [going over these proposals],” Davis said. “There are a lot of opportunities for women to meet other women who have the same kind of mission.”

Contact Grayson Joslin with comments at Grayson.joslin@bsu.edu or on X @GraysonMJoslin.