AP: House expels New York Rep. George Santos

U.S. Rep. George Santos (R-NY) waits for the arrival of South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol on April 27, 2023, in Washington, D.C. Santos was charged Wednesday in a 13-count federal indictment with wire fraud, money laundering, theft of public funds and lying to Congress. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images/TNS)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House voted on Friday to expel Republican Rep. George Santos of New York after a critical ethics report on his conduct that accused him of converting campaign donations for his own use. He was just the sixth member in the chamber’s history to be ousted by colleagues.

The vote to expel was 311-114. Expulsion requires support from two-thirds of the House, a purposefully high bar, but a blistering House Ethics Committee report that accused Santos of breaking federal law proved decisive.

Santos fought the expulsion effort leading up to the vote, leading his own defense during House floor debate and in conducting a press conference and interviews.

“I will not stand by quietly,” Santos declared as lawmakers debated his removal the evening before the vote. “The people of the Third District of New York sent me here. If they want me out, you’re going to have to go silence those people and go take the hard vote.”