District 34 State Rep. Sue Errington shares upcoming legislative plans

<p>State Rep. Sue Errington speaks to a crowd of demonstrators July 4 at the Delaware County Building. Before her career in politics, Errington works as the Public Policy Director for Planned Parenthood of Indiana. Rylan Capper, DN </p>

State Rep. Sue Errington speaks to a crowd of demonstrators July 4 at the Delaware County Building. Before her career in politics, Errington works as the Public Policy Director for Planned Parenthood of Indiana. Rylan Capper, DN

District 34 State Rep. Sue Errington has released her upcoming legislative agenda for the next legislative session.

According to a press release, “Errington's legislative priorities range from promoting wage range transparency to implementing ballot measures in Indiana.”

Errington plans to work on the promotion of legislation that would introduce citizen-led ballot measures to be enshrined in the Indiana Constitution. Similar ballot measures have already had impacts in legislation across the country, such as in states like Michigan and Ohio. 

This kind of legislation would allow for voting hoosiers to have a more direct opinion by ways of topics that may be in the legislation. 

“During the Ohio general election, the nation saw firsthand the impact ballot initiatives have on voting outcomes. I believe that if given the opportunity, Hoosiers would vote positively on issues surrounding cannabis legalization and abortion. Just like voters in Ohio, Hoosiers deserve a fair opportunity to make their voices heard at the polls," Errington said.

Additionally, Errington wants to push legislation on wage transparency and eliminate discussions of wage history in the workplace. 

A bill of its nature would require that the wage range of positions be shared in both the job posting and the interview process. It would also prohibit employers from underpaying their employees and eliminate the discussion of salary history discussion in the application and interview process “that so often perpetuates discriminatory wages from past employment. Implementing these changes would help narrow the gender pay gap and ensure equal salaries for minority groups, ultimately creating a broader, diverse workforce." 

Errington also plans to address the lack of sexual education programs and the rising number of gun incidents across the state.

"Both of these issues directly affect the health and well-being of Hoosiers, especially those in vulnerable populations such as children and teens,” Errington said. I want to ensure Indiana is promoting policies that thoroughly and accurately combat these issues."

Members of the community can contact Errington about her upcoming legislative agenda and other topics by visiting the Indiana House Democratic Caucus’ online website. 

Contact the Daily News with comments at editor@bsudailynews.com or on X @bsudailynews.