Indiana attorney general faces disciplinary action

<p>FILE - Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita speaks during a watch party for Jennifer-Ruth Green, the Republican candidate for Indiana's 1st Congressional District, on Nov. 8, 2022, in Schererville, Ind. Rokita, Indiana's attorney general, Nov. 30, asked the state medical licensing board to discipline Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an Indianapolis doctor who has spoken publicly about providing an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim who traveled from Ohio after its abortion law took effect. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings, File)</p>

FILE - Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita speaks during a watch party for Jennifer-Ruth Green, the Republican candidate for Indiana's 1st Congressional District, on Nov. 8, 2022, in Schererville, Ind. Rokita, Indiana's attorney general, Nov. 30, asked the state medical licensing board to discipline Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an Indianapolis doctor who has spoken publicly about providing an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim who traveled from Ohio after its abortion law took effect. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings, File)

Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita faces disciplinary charges brought by the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission. Rokita faces three charges, all alleged violations of the Indiana Rule of Professional Conduct. The complaint stems from Rokita’s appearance on the Jesse Watters Show. The charges are: 

• Counts 1 and 2: “Referring to Dr. Caitlin Bernard as an “abortion activist acting as a doctor–with a history of failure to report” during the nationally televised Jesse Watters show on July 12, 2022, while there was an investigation pending” violated Indiana Rule of Professional Conduct.
  • Count 3 - “...making public statements and/or directing others to issue public statements from July 2022 - September 2022 about the investigation of Dr. Caitlin Bernard, prior to a referral to the Medical Licensing Board” in violation of the “confidentiality required” under Indiana Code and Indiana Rule of Professional Conduct.

Rokita, in a detailed statement, responded, saying, in part, “No confidentiality should be required in the case of Dr. Bernard, who he claimed violated her “duties of confidentiality” by disclosing her patient’s condition and treatment to the press.” 

He claimed that she then was in further violation by “publicly discussing patient information” in “an MSNBC interview on July 6, 2023.”

Additionally, Rokita said the confidentiality laws referenced in the Commission’s Complaint allegedly “prohibits discussion” of the complaints and related information, which he said he did not discuss. And claimed the confidentiality laws referenced in the complaint are “unclear” if they apply “the elected Attorney General himself” and that the law in reference is “limited in scope to employees of the Attorney General’s Office.” 

No hearing date has yet been set.

Contact The Ball State Daily News with comments at editor@bsudailynews.com or on X @bsudailynews.