Muncie woman walking again after being run over during mass shooting

"My life's changed": Muncie woman spends almost two months in hospital

Shealyn Orr, Photo provided
Shealyn Orr, Photo provided

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink Indiana) — Almost two months after a mass shooting at a block party left one dead and 18 injured, emotions are still high and families continue to look for answers.

One woman who was injured that night is sharing her story of resilience after being run over by a car.

"I prepare for stuff like this," Orr said. "I hate to think like that, but it's life...But I wasn't prepared for this."

It was 1:15 a.m. on July 30 when police responded to the area of South Hackley and East Willard streets on reports of multiple people shot at a block party.

As gunfire erupted, dozens of people scrambled to get to safety including Orr. As she was fleeing, Orr was struck by a car and run over.

"I feel like I was [under] that car forever," Orr explained. "It didn't go by fast at all."

Paramedics eventually made it to Orr and transported her to a hospital.

"The EMT worker, he was like, 'No, stay with me. Stay. Wait. You can't go to sleep yet,' "

Shealyn Orr, Photo provided

Orr stayed in the hospital for weeks. As she describes, the odds weren't exactly in her favor.

"My pelvis was fractured and my spine was fractured," Orr explained. "Collarbone broken, ribs broken. Like, I had a lot of odds stacked up against me. But I beat them. I'm still here."

Now, after so many weeks of pain, Orr is able to walk again. Though, not as swiftly as she used to, Orr says it's yet another small step toward recovery.

"I still have my wheelchair," Orr said. "When I'm in the kitchen, I have to use my wheelchair because I can't stand for long periods."

While the journey has been painful and often traumatic, it's one that Orr is optimistic about.

"Don't give up,” exclaimed Orr. “If you're still here, God has a plan for you. There's something, you have a purpose. You just gotta find your purpose. That's all. Like, I still don't know what my purpose is. I'm still looking for it."

Meanwhile, police continue to look for who is responsible for hitting Orr with a car.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help Orr with medical expenses. That can be found by clicking here.