Muncie police, court documents share new details on mass shooting

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Police have shared more information into the arrest made Tuesday afternoon in connection to a mass shooting at a block party. 

To watch NewsLink Indiana's coverage of the press conference:

Police provide new information into mass shooting

Police arrested 36-year-old John L. Vance during a traffic stop Tuesday afternoon.

Vance is booked at the Delaware County Jail and has been preliminarily charged with two counts of aggravated battery, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and criminal recklessness. His bond is set for $105,000.

Vance has not been charged in the death of Joseph Bonner, the one killed in the shooting.

According to court documents, Vance and Bonner were involved in an altercation before the shooting. 

At Wednesday’s press conference, police officials said that there were only 14 on-duty officers on the night of the shooting, and an all-call was placed to get more officers to the area. 

The city said the block party did receive a noise ordinance exemption for an event up to 75 people. Hundreds were in attendance and police were working to contact the owner to shut the event down.

As detectives are still going through interviews and evidence, Deputy Chief Melissa Criswell said this is a wide range investigation and Tuesday’s arrest was the first step. 

“We’ve made a lot of progress, but this is just the first step in a long road ahead,” Criswell said. 

As of Wednesday, there are still seven people in the hospital, three are in stable condition in Indianapolis and three are in stable condition in Muncie. 

The Delaware County Prosecutor’s Office is reviewing the case and expects to file formal charges in the coming days.