Burris uses conference title momentum to defeat the Tigers

Muncie Burris senior Sung Hoo Hong looks to score, Sep. 28 in a match against the Yorktown Tigers. David Moore, DN

After locking down their first conference title in program history, the Muncie Burris Owls (10-3-1) were looking to continue that momentum to the end of their 2023 campaign starting with their inter-county matchup versus the Yorktown Tigers (4-8-3). 

The match started slow for both sides as halfway through the first half it was all even at one with goals from Hayden Evans of the Owls and Colin Furnish of the Tigers. 

Despite the slow start, Burris picked things up offensively towards the end of the first half behind junior midfielder Liam Hannon who had his own 2-0 run to end the half to put the Owls up 3-1. Hannon ended the night with a hat trick to lead the scoring for the Owls. 

“Liam is an electric player. He’s fast, good with his feet, and can play multiple positions. He brings a lot to the team” head coach Todd McKinney said. 

For Hannon there is a brotherhood factor to his success, and why he is able to be a large contributor to the team. 

“[The best part of] playing is connecting with them,” said Hannon.

To open the 2nd half the blue and yellow came out firing on all cylinders to put on an offensive clinic. Making sure to get everyone involved, the Owls had 5 different scorers in the 2nd half alone. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 9.48.20 PM.png
Muncie Burris junior Dominick Moskaliev runs with the ball Sep. 28 in a match against Yorktown High School. Burris went on to defeat the Tigers, David Moore DN

“It’s ball movement, [and] you can see in this game how much better we’ve gotten about moving the ball,” senior Asher Donahue said. “It’s not just superhero ball, we’re winning as a team and it’s been awesome.”

The Owls did not let up on the offensive end and ended the game on a 7-1 scoring run going all the way back to 24:00 to go in the first half.

“I think we struggled in the first half, [we came out] flat and relaxed. I think that’s because we’ve had a one-week break and we came off a conference title,” Donahue said. “I’m glad we got the win tonight [because] it could’ve been a rude awakening.”

The Owls avoided that rude awakening after their sluggish start and are now looking to close out the season with their final matchup of the regular season at home vs. Wapahani (2-10-2) tomorrow at 5 p.m.

Contact David Moore with comments at david.moore@bsu.edu or on X@gingninj63