Cardinals draw against Eastern Michigan in second conference matchup

Sophmore forward Delaney Caldwell rears back for a pass upfield against Miami Sept. 21 at Briners Sports Complex. Caldwell was responsible for one of the Cardinals goals against the Redhawks. Andrew Berger, DN

One goal didn’t prove to be enough in Sunday afternoon’s match against Eastern Michigan, where the team tied 1-1.

This was the Cardinals’ second conference match of the season, and they now hold a 3-5-1 record.

Eastern Michigan (1-4-5) started off scoring at the 19 minute mark when sophomore Lily Spotak snuck one past Bethany Moser in the lower left corner of the goal following a penalty kick by freshman teammate Kate Robinson.

That’s all Moser would give up as she went on to save five goals and hold the Eagles scoreless the rest of the game.

Ball State’s lone goal was executed by junior Lexi Fraley two minutes into the second half and was assisted by graduate student Maya Turner.

“Halftime was a great time for us to breathe and regroup, it was an opportunity to [say] ‘Hey we’re fine and 45 minutes is plenty of time to finish what we started’” said Fraley.

Fraley led Ball State in shots and shots on goal with six and four respectively.

Ball State comes back home to play Toledo (3-4-1) on Thursday. 

“Getting points on the road is had,” head coach Josh Rife said. “Let's go defend home territory and understand there’s still some moments that we can get better with.”

Contact Quintin Hossli with comments at Quintin.Hossli@bsu.edu or on X @QHossli