Cardinals drop to 0-2 after late fourth period goal earns Lehigh a victory

The Ball State field hockey team celebrates scoring a goal Sept. 3 in a game against Lehigh at Briner Sports Complex. Ball State lost to Lehigh 1-3. Amber Pietz, DN

Editor's note: This article may be updated at a later date.
Ball State field hockey suffered a 4-3 loss to Lehigh as the Cardinals drop to 0-2 to start the season.

In what was a back and forth contest throughout most of the match, The Mountain Hawks struck the first blow midway through the first period with a penalty corner goal by senior forward Lotte Smorenberg. The Cardinals were unable to find the back of the net until the second quarter when grad student midfielder Kerrianne McClay and senior defender Michaela Graney poked in two to give Ball State a 2-1 lead over Leigh.

It was then when the penalties started to rack up for the Cardinals. 

Late in the second period, the Mountain Hawks got penalty stroke, which was then put in for a goal to tie the game up at two a piece. Senior forward Rachel Bohn responded to put the Cardinals in front 3-2 in the third quarter, but another penalty corner resulted  in yet another game-tying goal for the Mountain Hawks.

In the fourth period, the Cardinals were unable to respond to the goal as just minutes into the period, the Mountain Hawks scored a goal off of a rebound that bounced off senior goalkeeper Hannah Johnston to give Lehigh a 4-3 lead, the final score of the contest.

The Cardinals end up giving Lehigh 11 penalty corners compared to the Mountain Hawks  surrendering only seven. Leigh also outshot the Cardinals 23-12 and only had three saves all game against Ball State. Johnston picked up double digit saves for the second game in a row for the Cardinals with 11.

Neither Ball State head coach Caitlin Walsh nor Ball State athletes were able to be reached for comment following the loss.

Ball State continues its road trip to start the season, traveling to Columbus, Ohio, Friday Sept. 1 to take on Bucknell at 1 p.m.

Contact Dane Massey with comments at dtmassey@bsu.edu or on Twitter @danemassey22.