GANGGANG organization co-founder and Ball State Alum hosts lecture

Malina Simone Bacon stands in front of a podium in Pruis Hall on Tuesday, April 11 during her lecture “Is DEI over?”

MUNCIE, INDIANA.--- Ball State alumni and co-founder of the organization “GANGGANG,” Malina Simone Bacon, had her first campus-wide lecture in Pruis Hall on Tuesday, April 11 at 5 p.m.

Bacon discussed the topic “Is DEI over?” DEI is an acronym for diversity, equity and inclusion. 

She also talked about her organization, GANGGANG, which was co-founded in 2020 during the pandemic with her partner, Alan Bacon.

“Having a lightbulb moment is one of those things that feels pretty divine,” co-founder of GANGANG Alan Bacon said. “In the moment, it felt pretty liberating to be able to think about what to do in the midst of a global health and race pandemic, so it was a liberating moment that we felt that it was a great opportunity to do something transformative here in the city.”

GANGGANG has also hosted an art fair called “Butter.” According to the GANGGANG website, Butter aims “to elevate Black artists in the national conversation by inviting local artists to exhibit and sell work alongside artists from all over the world.” 

“Butter” showcased contemporary works of over 30 black visual artists, and first took place Labor Day weekend 2021. 

Bacon also served as the Love Indy project manager for Plan 2020. Love Indy Plan 2020 was a bicentennial planning agenda for Indianapolis. Bacon also helped push the hashtag #LoveIndy where people can take photos with the “Indy” sign and post them on social media with the hashtag.

According to Bacon, her position as the Love Indy project manager helped her combine the three things in her career lanes: civic pride, arts and culture and conversations about race. 

You can visit Bacon’s organization GANGGANG at https://ganggangculture.com/

Contact Emma Matlock with comments at emma.matlock@bsu.edu