Success in the nest

Ball State Men’s Volleyball continues dominant home performances during the 2023 season.

MUNCIE, INDIANA – Ball State squads playing in Worthen Arena in the 2022-2023 season are 55-8 overall. Men’s Volleyball is the only current program adding to the record with 10 wins and just two losses at home.

“There’s nothing better than being able to play in front of your own fans and I think our guys thrive off that. Just knowing that we got a lot of season to go and some of it’s going to be played here, it’s always good to get in front of the fans,” said the reigning National Coach of the Year Donan Cruz.

Ball State’s attendance at men’s volleyball games has ranked top five across all D1 volleyball schools. It is the only program whose campus is not located on the west coast or Hawaii.

“Our home court advantage is huge. We love the Muncie fanbase, they always come out and show out. Our students are huge too, everybody gets into the game so I feel like it has a lot of energy and we feel it on the court too,” said graduate middle blocker Felix Egharevba.

Ball State fans aren’t the only ones bringing the energy to the home court. The cardinal players put on quite the show after a big kill or monster block.

“I love it when everyone reacts to a block because I feel like in our eyes, it is way bigger than a kill. I love looking back at the bench and they are getting all hype because it motivates me and keeps me energized,” Egharevba said.

Regardless of the impressive celebrations, the team took two home wins this past weekend. Coach Cruz has one request for the cardinal followers before the season ends.

“On April 6th and April 8th we battle Loyola and Purdue Fort Wayne and we hope to see you there,” Cruz said.

Cruz and the cardinals will continue preparing for their final two home games April sixth and eighth.

Contact Brandon Beaman with questions or comments at brandon.beaman@bsu.edu.