Henry wins vault, Cardinals finish second at MAC Championships

Third-year Victoria Henry spins through the air during her vault routine at the Ball State Quad Meet on Jan. 29 at Worthen Arena. Henry scored a 9.825. Katelyn Howell, DN.

Ball State tied its fifth-best score in program history and tied its best finish at the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championship since 2002 with a score of 196.325 to finish second March 18 at host Kent State. It is the seventh runner-up finish in program history for the Cardinals and the first since 2016.

After second-place finishes on both vault and floor in the 2022 MAC Championships, Third-year Victoria Henry claimed the vault title with a career-best 9.950. It is the second time a Ball State gymnast has claimed victory on the event in three years. Henry also tied for fourth on the floor event with a 9.900 score. 

Fourth-year Megan Teter finished well for Ball State, tying for second on bars with a 9.925 while scoring a 9.900 to tie for fourth on floor. The tie on floor helped cement the Cardinals' second-place finish.

Third-year Suki Pfister, who tied for third on vault with a 9.850, was named the MAC Specialist of the Year for the second-consecutive year while also being selected to the All-MAC First Team. Pfister finished third on floor with a 9.925. Henry was named to the All-MAC Second Team.

In the all-around event, third-year Hannah Ruthberg placed fifth with an overall score of 39.300 which included a 9.850 on bars, 9.825 on both vault and floor and a 9.800 on beam. Her score tied Ball State's eighth-best all-around score in program history.

With the Cardinals finishing as the 2023 MAC Regular Season champions and recording nine of the 10 best scores in program history this season, head coach Joanna Saleem was named the MAC Coach of the Year, her second selection for the award in the last three seasons.

Ball State recorded a 49.050 on vault, a 49.200 on bars, a 48.675 on beam and a 9.400 on floor at the meet.

Looking ahead, the Cardinals have booked a team spot in the NCAA Regionals and will learn where they will compete on Selection Monday (March 20). The selected sites for regionals are Denver, Lost Angeles, Norman, Oklahoma or Pittsburgh.

Contact the Sports Section with comments at sports@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @dn_sports.