UPB works against low turnouts

Ball State’s University Program Board’s works to engage students through low attendance

MUNCIE, INDIANA. — Ball State’s University Program Board (UPB) is an organization that is committed to giving students a safe environment to have fun on campus. 

Spearheaded by students, the UPB plans weekly events with free admission for students. However, student turnout to these events has been down in recent years.

UPB’s Assistant Director for Programs, Faith Renken, says that while event attendance may be down, UBP is looking at it a bit differently.  

“The numbers themselves have decreased a bit but... we’re getting a lot more returners who are continually engaging with our programs,” says Renken. 

Renken notes student engagement as being especially beneficial for UBP, as the organization tries to focus on events the student body expresses more interest in. 

“We take that input and make sure that all of our events are focused around what students are wanting to see on campus,” Renken said.

UPB runs a variety of events including open mic nights, Friday night film works, Friday night entertainment, and themed events. 

“We really focus on what the student body is interested in gaining out of their experiences here,” Renken said.

UPB’s next event is ‘Craftin’ with UPB,’ a night meant to give students a creative outlet. Students will be able to take part in a variety of artistic projects such as tie-dying, jewelry making, tote bag designing, and more. ‘Craftin’ with UPB’ is Thursday, February 23 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. and will meet in the Cardinal Hall Ballroom. 

Contact Maya Abramson with comments at meabramson@bsu.edu