Cardinals continue indoor season at Hawkeye Invitational

Senior high jumper Charity Griffith competes in the high jump event. Mercedes Oliver/Ball State Athletics, photo provided

After a strong exhibition match at the Tom Wright opener last weekend, Ball State Track and Field showed out at the Hawkeye Invitational hosted by Iowa.

“Preseason gives us an opportunity to prepare our program for the indoor and outdoor season,” head coach Adrian Wheatly said. ”During this phase, we really focus on developing sound skills, increasing our speed and developing our aerobic and anaerobic system.”

Third-year high jumper Charity Griffith has set the all-time indoor facility record of 1.85m at Iowa University.

“This is only the start,” Griffith said, “It is also nice knowing that I am starting right where I left off from last season. But I still have a lot more grinding to do to get where I really need to be.”

“It was an exciting competition as she worked through several bars on her way to setting up a facility record,” Wheatley said. “I’m excited to see her continue [to] progress through this indoor and outdoor season” 

The Cardinals had many other heat victories throughout this meet with six of Griffith’s teammates placing in the top five of their respective events. First-year triple jumper, Brenna Lehrke placed fourth in her triple jump event with a 10.28m, first-year distance runner Sarah Mahnensmith placed fifth overall with a 4:59.67 one mile time, third-year sprinter Kayla Jones placed fourth overall in the 400m with a 56.68 time, second-year sprinter Jenna Oriani placed fifth overall in the final of her 60m with a 7.6 second time and placed fourth overall in the 200m with a 24.91 time, third-year sprinter/hurdler Jennah Rogers placed fourth overall in the 60m hurdles with an 8.91 second time and first-year sprinter Alana Springer placed fifth overall in the 60m with a final time of 7.65 seconds.

“We are a young program and are working to establish a solid foundation of success,” Wheatley said, “It’s exciting to see the young ladies buying to the process of building this program together” 

Ball State continues its indoor season at the Gladstein Invitational in Bloomington, Indiana hosted by Indiana University Jan. 20-21.

Contact Bella Bonilla with comments at isabella.bonilla@bsu.edu or on Twitter @bellabonilla14.