BREAKING: Carson Steele enters the transfer portal

Second-year running back Carson Steele hurdles over a player with the football in a game against University of Connecticut Oct. 15 at Scheumann Stadium. Steele's longest run of the game was for 25 yards. Eli Pierson, DN

Carson Steele will be wearing a new jersey next season as the sophomore running back announced in a Tweet today that he will enter the transfer portal.

"I want to thank Ball State for taking a chance on me when no one else believed in me," Steele said. "The coaches, players and staff have been more than great to me for the last two years and I'm so thankful for the friendships that I have made and I will cherish them forever."

A screenshot from Carson Steele's Twitter announcement Dec. 3. Steele will enter the portal with at least two years of NCAA eligibility remaining. Carson Steele, photo provided

Steele, who broke out in his freshman season before gaining national recognition for his performances this year, rushed for 2,447 yards and 20 touchdowns in two seasons with Ball State. In 2022, Steele accounted for all 14 rushing touchdowns the Cardinals scored as Ball State finished 5-7 and missed out on a third-consecutive season of bowl eligibility.

"... My family and I have decided that it would be best for me to enter the transfer portal for my remaining years of eligibility," he continued. "Again, I would like to say thank you to Ball State for the last two years and I wish nothing but success for their program as they move on."

Contact the Daily News Sports Section with comments at sports@bsu.dailynews.com or on Twitter @dn_sports.