Yorktown introduces new park, input from students and residents

Ball State CAP students give opinions on new local park

YORKTOWN, Ind. – Developments are underway in Yorktown as part of a town-wide recreation plan and an initiative being taken by the Yorktown Town Council. 

With additional COVID-19 relief funding, as well as possible grant money, the town is looking to fill the empty plot of land on Nebo Road near the Kilgore and Nebo intersection. 

“We thought, as we expand our parks and trails, that would be the perfect location for a pocket park in the Bradford Park neighborhood,” Yorktown Town Council Vice President Nanci Sears Perry said. 

Concept plans were discussed with input from Ball State University architecture students and opinions were shared by Bradford Park neighborhood residents on Monday. Strengths and weaknesses of the locations were touched upon as well as prints for the park’s design. 

Perry says she is excited to see the final product, which is set to be completed in 2023. 

“As we have a comprehensive park plan and trail plan, this seemed to fit nicely,” Perry said. “Bringing a beautiful area to the east side of Yorktown for several neighborhoods to enjoy.”

After speaking with residents, they shared that they are looking forward to seeing a lively area in their neighborhood. Perry says she is looking forward to the same sight. 

“I am looking forward to one more gorgeous park in Yorktown,” Perry said. 

For more information, visit the Yorktown Town Council website

To contact Grace Bentkowski with any questions or comments, email her at gmbentkowski@bsu.edu or message her on Twitter @gbentkowski.