Ball State SGA approves funding for community services

Ball State senior, Oghenetega Oweh is confirmed as a student senator at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. Sept. 14, 2022. She's joining the off-campus caucus. Richard Kann, DN

A budget for future community services, such as free feminine hygiene products, a community garden and Charlie’s Charter was proposed by the Ball State Student Government Association (SGA)  Wednesday.

Mamed Ramazanli, SGA treasurer, spoke on the continued supply of free feminine hygiene products, and the prospect of expanding them to other buildings than just the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.

“In the past we’ve had $1,500 allocated towards Student Center supplies, but now we’re expanding to other buildings," Ramazanli said. “This will also, perhaps, increase awareness of this as a resource that women who need the product can have access to.

On top of this, $1,000 was secured for Health Promotion and Advocacy as a part of a partnership with the Center for Survivor Support. This advocacy includes hosting further events to promote safe-sex education, similar to the previous “Bacon and Sex Brunch” event.

The budget also directed $2,000 to Charlie’s Charter, a free transportation service for students.

“We wanted to increase the safety of Charlie’s charter and work with them and see whatever expenditures need to be sent to make the experience more pleasurable, accessible and identifiable for students,” Ramazanli said.

SGA inaugurated Ball State senior, Oghenetega Oweh, as a new senator for the Off-Campus Caucus. Oweh is a former residence assistant hoping to “improve the quality of life for the future of generations” by addressing student issues, such as parking and information dispersion issues.

The budget passed 22-1. 

“I want to stay involved in student life and keep making a difference by, obviously, helping students,” Oweh said.

Oweh was voted in 23-0.

“I feel like it’s important [for students] to have a voice and I want to be their voice,” Oweh said.

Contact Richard Kann with comments at richard.kann@bsu.edu or on Twitter @RichardKann.