Ball State University updates its pandemic protocol for 2022-23 students

Ball State University made changes to its existing COVID-19 protocol on August 16, 2022.

MUNCIE, Ind.--- With the beginning of the new school year underway, the university has revised its COVID-19 response plan for students. 

To comply with updated CDC guidelines, the university’s “Student Return to Campus Plan” no longer requires those who have been exposed to COVID-19 to quarantine. 

Now, students who are exposed to COVID-19 are encouraged to wear a mask while navigating campus as normal. Students are also encouraged to get tested “at least five full days after their exposure, regardless of whether they develop symptoms” per the online handbook

“My feeling on it is neutral,” Ball State Junior Jake Warfel said. 

Warfel, who entered the university at the height of COVID-19 during the Fall 2020 semester, feels that Ball State, as well as his department of study, are taking the needed precautions to have a healthy 2022-23 school year. 

“The social work department as well as the rest of the university [are] doing the best they can right now,” Warfel said. 

Other modifications made to the protocol included “minor updates” that were made in preparation for the start of another school year on Ball State’s campus. 

“[They’re] trying to get things as back to normal as possible,” Warfel said. 

Warfel believes that despite the changing pandemic protocols, education at the university is still being prioritized. 

“The social work department is trying to offer the best possible education they can for their students during this weird, transitionary time period,” Warfel said. 

To learn more about Ball State’s COVID-19 protocol, visit the university’s website

Contact Grace Bentkowski with comments at gmbentkowski@bsu.edu