Teen confirmed dead in August 20 shooting near Ball State University

<p>Ball State's University Police Department (UPD) arrested a man Sept. 4 for theft and criminal trespassing at Studebaker West. The man removed clothing from a dryer of the eighth floor laundry room in the residence hall. <strong>Cory Ohlenkamp, DN File</strong></p>

Ball State's University Police Department (UPD) arrested a man Sept. 4 for theft and criminal trespassing at Studebaker West. The man removed clothing from a dryer of the eighth floor laundry room in the residence hall. Cory Ohlenkamp, DN File

According to a press release from Muncie Police Department (MPD) Deputy Chief Melissa Criswell.

Approximately 12:40 a.m. August 20, two days before Fall semester 2022 classes begin for Ball State University, shots were fired in the area of W. University Ave. and N. Dill St. As emergency service personnel responded, they found a 19 year old with an apparent gunshot wound.

The 19 year old was transported to IU Health/Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana, and was pronounced deceased. The victim was later identified as Que'Aundre Johnson of Marion, Indiana.

This is still an active investigation by the MPD, with help from the Ball State University Police Department (BSUPD). Surveillance video from the area is under review, and has reportedly found the suspect to be a younger Black male wearing a black T-shirt and light shorts, who fled southeast from the scene on foot.

For those with information concerning the investigation, contact the Muncie Police Department Detective Division via phone at 765-747-4867 or the Muncie Police Dispatch via phone at 765-747-4838.

Contact Kyle Smedley with comments via email at kyle.smedley@bsu.edu or on Twitter @smedley1932.