Cardinals take season opening loss to Wildcats

Ball State sophomore goalkeeper Bethany Moser handling the ball in the Cardinal's 3-0 loss to Kentucky. Ball State returns to the field Aug. 21 against Queens University. Joe Gilbert, photo courtesy.

Ball State Soccer (0-1-0, 0-0-0), lost to University of Kentucky to begin the 2022 season Aug. 18 by a score of 3-0.

Cardinal sophomore goalkeeper Bethany Moser kept the net untouched through the start of the match, dening eight Wildcat attempts. However, junior Kentucky defender Hadley Williams opened the scoring in the 15th minute with seniorforward Hannah Richardson chalking up the assist. The Wildcasts had 23 total shot attempts in the game while Ball State only managed two.

Ball State kept the deficit to just one throguhout the remainder of the first half, but Kentucky struck again in the 65th minute by way of freshman midfielder Madison Jones. Just four minutes later, senior forward Jordyn Rhodes sealed the final goal of the win to make it 3-0 in favor of the Wildcats.

Ball State will be on the pitch again Aug. 21 against the Queens University Royals in Charlotte, North Carolina. Kickoff is at 10 a.m.

Contact Daily News Sports with comments at sports@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @dn_sports.