AP News Roundup: Week of May 14-21

CREDIT: Tribune News Service- People gathered outside of Tops market embrace on May 15, 2022 in Buffalo, New York. Yesterday a gunman opened fire at the store, killing ten people and wounding another three. Suspect Payton Gendron was taken into custody and charged with first degree murder. (Scott Olson/Getty Images/TNS)

Buffalo shooting

CREDIT: Tribune News Service- Police on scene at a Tops Friendly Market on Saturday, May 14, 2022, in Buffalo, New York. According to reports, at least 10 people were killed after a mass shooting at the store, with the shooter in police custody. (John Normile/Getty Images/TNS)

In what authorities are calling a racially motivated attack, 10 people were killed, along with three others injured, in a shooting at a Buffalo, New York supermarket May 14. Of the 13 victims that were killed or injured, 11 were Black. 

According to the Associated Press, “A white 18-year-old wearing military gear and livestreaming with a helmet camera opened fire with a rifle at a supermarket in Buffalo, killing 10 people and wounding three others Saturday in what authorities described as “racially motivated violent extremism.” Police said he shot 11 Black and two white victims before surrendering to authorities in a rampage he broadcast live on the streaming platform Twitch.” 

According to the Associated Press, “The suspected gunman in Saturday’s attack on Tops Friendly Market was identified as Payton Gendron, of Conklin, New York, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) southeast of Buffalo.” This attack in Buffalo came one month after a shooting on a subway train in Brooklyn injured 10 people. 

Baby formula shortage

CREDIT: Tribune News Service- A woman shops for baby formula at Target in Annapolis, Maryland, on May 16, 2022, as a nationwide shortage of baby formula continues due to supply chain crunches tied to the coronavirus pandemic that have already strained the country's formula stock, an issue that was further exacerbated by a major product recall in February. (Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images/TNS)

It has been reported that there is currently a shortage of baby formula as stores are trying to figure out how to resupply their shelves. The shortage is said to be caused by a safety recall due to bacteria.

Not only that, but along with the COVID-19 pandemic, there have been issues with the transportation, ingredients, and labor that have also added to this shortage. Retailers have managed this crisis by limiting the amount of formula consumers can get, making it where people only can purchase three bottles of formula per customer, whereas online stores are selling 4 bottles per customer.

Supplies are believed to improve within the next six to eight weeks. Since most formula is made domestically, health regulators are going to allow for formula overseas to be imported faster into the U.S.

President Biden’s falling approval rating and the state of the economy

CREDIT: Tribune News Service- President Joe Biden delivers remarks on Feb. 5, 2021. Some in Congress are saying his spending on COVID relief contributed to a sustained pace of high inflation that’s sent Biden’s approval ratings skidding and left key moderate Democrats with limited appetite to embrace his remaining economic agenda. (Stefani Reynolds/Pool/Getty Images/TNS)

United States President Joe Biden’s approval rating has fallen to the lowest point of his campaign (39%). With President Biden’s approval rating falling, the prices in Europe are increasing.

Public work projects have been put to a stop because the European Union added $114 billion into pandemic recovery money, which was originally meant to help with construction. The war in Ukraine has sparked inflation across not only Europe, but the entire world to increase, causing food, materials and energy prices to rise. 

The inflation rate is expected to keep growing until it grows to 7% in 2022 alone. 

Surging prices are causing an increase to prices that need these basic items to function such as electricity and gas pumps. This results in issues when it comes to consumers obtaining basic needs, and because of the high fuel prices, ground transportation for goods are not going to be able to deliver items as efficiently and farmers are being forced to increase how much they charge for their crops along with meats and dairy. 

The prices in Warsaw, Germany have increased so dramatically, that the price for a hen has increased 150% more than what it used to be worth and the price of iron has also increased substantially, going up 170%. 

The United States Government is trying to help by giving out three billion euros to help citizens with the increase in prices, however, some do not believe this will be nearly enough since costs, in general, are up 40%.  Economists are claiming the reason behind all of this is because of a “perfect storm” of current world events, since COVID-19 was already restricting the number of supplies that were allowed into a country, now the war in Ukraine is causing even more trade restrictions.

Contact Joseph McKeigue with comments via email at Jpmckeigue@bsu.edu.