Ball State completes season sweep over Broncos

The Cardinals laugh after cheering on their teammates March 26, 2021, in the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. The Cardinals won 4-3 against the Falcons. Rylan Capper, DN

Ball State Women’s Tennis (16-3, 7-1 MAC) defeated Mid-American Conference foe Western Michigan (11-10, 3-4 MAC) 4-3 April 15 to complete the season sweep of the Broncos.

“It was really important to go out and beat our rival,” junior Amy Kaplan said. “We went out and backed up our win against Miami (OH) with a win against Western Michigan.”

The Cardinals began Friday afternoon on the doubles courts where Western Michigan was able to win two out of the three matches to put themselves ahead of Ball State.

The lone doubles win for the Cardinals came from Kaplan and senior Hannah Davies who defeated the Broncos’ duo of senior Kaitlyn Rogosch and sophomore Ana Guadiana 6-3.

On the singles courts, Ball State went down 3-1 after Guadiana’s sweep of junior Jessica Braun in two straight sets. However, a Davies’ sweep of junior Kiana Rizzolo in their singles match would put the Cardinals down one in the best of seven series.

The final Western Michigan win of the day came on the singles courts from senior Femke Tjon-A-Joe who swept freshman Elena Malykh.

Freshman Silvia Martinez hits the ball during a singles match March 26, 2021, in the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. The Cardinals won 4-3 against the Falcons. Rylan Capper, DN

Ball State saw victories from sophomore Mariya Polishchuk who defeated junior Lindsey Zegler in two sets and senior Livia Lukacs who earned a three-set victory over Rogosch.

The match-sealing win for the Cardinals came from Kaplan, who took sophomore Karin Hamilton to three sets after splitting the first two.

“I saw how badly my team wanted it,” Kaplan said. “I wanted to go out and not only win it for Ball State but for my teammates as well.”

Ball State now enters its final week of the regular season starting April 22 at Northern Illinois and before wrapping up play at home against Eastern Michigan April 24.

Contact Corbin Hubert with comments at cchubert@bsu.edu or on Twitter @corbin_hubert_