Ball State Men's Golf wraps up competition at Mason Rudolph Championship

<p>Junior Joey Ranieri tees off Oct. 1, 2018. Ranieri earned the Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Award in 2019. <strong>Jeff Harwell, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Junior Joey Ranieri tees off Oct. 1, 2018. Ranieri earned the Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Award in 2019. Jeff Harwell, Photo Provided

With two matches left before the Mid-American Championship (MAC) Championship, Ball State Men’s Golf finished 10th out of 15 in the Mason Rudolph Championship at Vanderbilt April 1-3.

“It went across the board to be honest with you,” head coach Mike Fleck said. 

In the first day of events, freshman Kash Bellar, redshirt freshman Ali Khan, freshman Colin Nasser, senior Joey Ranieri and junior Joey Wiseman wound up in a tie for seventh place. 

Ranieri took command for the Cardinals after the first day in 21st place. His three birdies and 13 pars put him at 1-under-par.

Bellar and Nasser were tied in 31st place after their combined eight birdies.

During the second day, Wiseman racked up three birdies and 13 pars of his own to take the lead for Ball State, while in a tie for 58th place. Bellar was tied for 33rd place after a second consecutive day of an even-par 71.

Junior Joey Ranieri hits the ball Oct. 1, 2018. Ranieri was ranked second on the team with a 73.00 stroke average in 2019. Jeff Harwell, Photo Provided

Kahn was tied for 58th place after shooting three birdies and six pars on the back nine. 

“Not as sharp as day one, but certainly we were still in a pretty decent spot coming into today,” Fleck said.

Ranieri led the Cardinals on the scorecard after the third and final day and finished in a tie for 49th place. His eagle on the 18th hole helped him finish at five-over-par. 

Nasser and Wiseman both finished one shot back from Ranieri at six-over-par and tied in 51st place. 

Host Vanderbilt placed first in the Mason Rudolph Championship, followed by Liberty and Tennessee.

Ball State inches closer to the MAC Championship, but returns to action April 9-10 at the Boilermaker Invitational at Purdue.

“We’re still trying to identify who those five participants are going to be [at the MAC Championship],” Fleck said.  “We’ll work through the next couple weeks, obviously we have some events [at Purdue and Ohio State] to help us continue to evaluate.” 

Contact Corbin Hubert with comments at cchubert@bsu.edu or on Twitter @corbin_hubert_.