3 takeaways from Ball State Softball's doubleheader loss against Central Michigan

Cardinals junior Faith Hensley gets ready for a pitch during their game against Kent State April 9, 2021, at First Merchants Ballpark. The Cardinals won both games of their double header against the Kent State Golden Flashes. Grace Walton, DN

Ball State (7-18, 0-2 MAC) fell short in its doubleheader against Central Michigan (13-12, 4-1 MAC) March 25. Due to cold weather, the third game of the series scheduled for March 26 was canceled.

In the first game, the Cardinals lost 4-3. After making a comeback in the second game, the Chippewas pulled away 9-8 to complete the series sweep. Here are three takeaways from the series.

Scoreless innings widen the gap

In the series opener, the Cardinals didn't score a run in the first six innings while the Chippewas scored three runs in that span. Ball State’s drought was ended by a three-run home run hit by senior outfielder Faith Hensley in the seventh inning to tie the score at three runs apiece.

Despite Hensley’s late-game effort, the Chippewas hit a sac-fly in the bottom of the seventh to seal the victory.

After falling down 6-0 through the first three innings of the second game, Hensley connected on a home run in the fourth inning igniting a string of five Ball State runs over the next two innings.

Cardinals junior Amaia Daniel throws the ball to home during their game against Kent State April 9, 2021, at First Merchants Ballpark. The Cardinals won both games of their double header against the Kent State Golden Flashes. Grace Walton, DN

Pitching remains a bright spot

Sophomore pitcher Emma Eubank came in for relief and held Central Michigan to four hits and one unearned run in the last five innings, allowing for Ball State to come back and tie the score at three runs.

Eubank struck out three batters in her span on the mound in the 4-3 loss.

All it takes is a spark

Once the Cardinals scored their initial run in the second game, the runs and hits poured in. Following Hensley’s fourth-inning home run in the second game, redshirt senior utility player Delanie Johnson hit another three-run home run.

Senior second baseman Amaia Daniel scored two more runs. Daniel grabbed two RBIs in the second game and tied the score at seven runs in the seventh inning. 

Junior third baseman Haley Wynn, sophomore utility player McKayla Timmons and sophomore center fielder Remington Ross each added hits in the second game.

Ball State begins its next series at home against Kent State (7-13, 1-4 MAC) April 1. First pitch is 3 p.m.

Contact Corbin Hubert with comments at cchubert@bsu.edu or on Twitter @corbin_hubert_.