Ball State SGA nominates treasurer, chief administrator candidates

<p>Ball State&#x27;s Student Government Association (SGA) Sen. Brenna Large, the author of the creation of the appeals process board amendment, answers questions on her amendment March 23, 2022. Large reintroduced this amendment after it had previously failed at SGA&#x27;s last meeting, March 16. <strong>Hannah Amos, DN</strong></p><p></p>

Ball State's Student Government Association (SGA) Sen. Brenna Large, the author of the creation of the appeals process board amendment, answers questions on her amendment March 23, 2022. Large reintroduced this amendment after it had previously failed at SGA's last meeting, March 16. Hannah Amos, DN

Ball State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) reintroduced an amendment that failed at the last meeting, March 16.

Sen. Brenna Large reintroduced her appeals process board amendment that failed 10-20 with seven abstentions last week.

“I think I got a lot of really good feedback from other senators last week, and I feel like it’s really important,” Large said. “Large organizations like IFC, Interfraternity Council, have walkthrough representation, and they represent such groups of students within the Ball State population, but I believe they should have the chance to bring in that representation.”

The new amendment no longer includes the On-Campus Caucus, it only applies to the protected seats in the Organizational Caucus if they lose a representative. 

The On-Campus Caucus is not in the amendment because of its members' concerns when the amendment was originally introduced March 2. Large said she will add the caucus to the amendment if representatives ask.

The other change in the new amendment is the number of votes needed for a lost seat to regain its representative. It has changed from unanimous to majority vote, and any senator can serve on the appeals board, instead of the original five senators and the five chairs of each caucus serving on the board. 

This amendment will be voted on at the next meeting, March 30.

The expansion of the Rules and Constitution Committee amendment passed 32-0 with one abstention. It will allow the SGA parliamentarian to add five senators, regardless of their caucus, to the committee.

Related: SGA votes on organization and residence hall representation, introduces gender-inclusive bathroom resolution

Treasurer and chief administrator nominations for the 2022-23 school year and legislative session were named at the meeting. This is the first installation of treasure and chief administrator candidates voted on by the senate rather than the student body.

Both the treasurer and chief administrator will serve on the SGA executive board with President Tina Nguyen and Vice President-elect Monet Lindstrand.

Senators Jimmy Mitchell, Clarissa Carrigan and Jessea Vaughan were candidates who accepted chief administrator nominations. Sen. Ozzie Kazrian and Dylan Teubert declined their nominations.

Senators Kazarian and Mamed Ramazanli accepted treasurer nominations, and Chief of Staff Joseph Gassensmith, Sen. Teubert, Trent Mckenzie and Riley Wert declined their nominations. 

The chief administrator and treasurer positions will be voted on at the next meeting, March 30.

Sen. Large presented SGA’s end-of-the-year celebration budget request, requesting $650 to reserve a location at the Village Promenade. If the reserved location is not damaged, $300 of the $650 will be refunded back to SGA’s budget. 

The request passed 32-0 with 1 abstention.

Sen. Andy Hopkins gave a presentation on establishing a Model United Nations (UN) at Ball State. A Model UN is a simulated UN meeting that aims to educate students on current events and diplomacy.

Black Women’s Voices’ President and Co-Founder Star Gooch gave a presentation on the organization's upcoming event, “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes.”

The event intends to raise awareness for sexual assault and violent crimes against women, as well as raise money to donate to shelters and advocacy programs for women and children. It costs $5 for an individual to participate in the event.

The event will be at the University Green starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 26.

Contact Hannah Amos with comments at hannah.amos@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Hannah_Amos_394.