Inside Ball State's performance of 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'

<p>Featured Image by Annie Bastian</p>

Featured Image by Annie Bastian

Editor’s note: This Byte reporter is a former member of the Department of Theatre and Dance and the Byte editorial board has a member who is an actor in this production.

A young boy finds his neighbor’s beloved dog murdered by a garden fork one night. Finding the dog would make him a suspect, but he would never do such a thing. In fact, he’s determined to find out who did. 

“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,” originally a mystery novel by Mark Haddon, follows highly-intelligent Christopher Boone on an investigation through the U.K. However, Boone’s investigation leads him to answers about life he never expected to find. 

This production of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,” from Ball State University’s Department of Theatre and Dance, is heartbreaking and funny. The language used throughout, banning the book from schools in the recent past, is mature and impeccably timed. 

Directors David Taylor Little and Drew Vidal created an experimental and rhythmic piece with life spouting from all elements of their team. Pieces created by scenic designer Kerry Lee Chipman, lighting designer Nicholas Shelton, and projection designer Kristin Reeves come together to allow intricate lights and projections to encapsulate the stage.

The ensemble, made up of ten students playing a collection of characters, are determined to be a part of Boone’s story— one that celebrates his differences and the challenges he faces throughout the course of his investigation. 

“The cast and crew have been working so hard to tell his story in a way that is both grounded and genuine,” said Thom Greving, sophomore musical theatre major. “I hope audiences take away some extra compassion and are reminded of the power of family.” 

“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” premieres tonight, Friday, March 25 at 7:30 p.m. The show will run this week with evening performances March 25-26, 29-April 2 and a 2:30 p.m. matineé on Sunday, March 27. To buy tickets, visit their website

Sources: Marshall University

Featured Image: Annie Bastian

Contact Emma Fullen with comments at erfullen@bsu.edu or @FullenEmma on Twitter.