Keeping animals safe during the winter

<p>Bailey, Caitlyn Demlein&#x27;s dog, hangs around with his owner Sept. 15, 2020, outside Miller College of Business. Demlein was relaxing in her hammock. <strong>Jaden Whiteman, DN</strong></p>

Bailey, Caitlyn Demlein's dog, hangs around with his owner Sept. 15, 2020, outside Miller College of Business. Demlein was relaxing in her hammock. Jaden Whiteman, DN

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) --- It’s February and the cold weather of winter is upon us. Keeping warm during these few months are key. But for some, it’s not just about keeping themselves warm, but also their animals.

During frigid weather, people are able to bundle up and stay inside. Animals do not have that same privilege. Pet owners have to be aware and extra cautious of keeping their pets safe.

Ashley Honeycutt, office manager at the Muncie Animal Care and Services, revealed her number one rule to weather safety.

“The biggest thing to make sure is that they have proper insulation if they are an outside dog or you have them outside,” Honeycutt said.

Not all dogs and cats have owners which puts them at risk during these temperatures. The question being, how can people help stray or mistreated pets they may spot during these months?

“So, if we’re open during business hours, they can always call the shelter. We are animal control for Delaware County there’s also a non-emergency line they can call which is (765)-747-4838 anytime day or night,” Honeycutt told us.

Keeping pets safe during the winter is important for their well-being and health. If you see an animal stuck out in the cold, call either (765)-747-4851, or the non-emergency number listed above, to help find them a place to be taken care of.

Contact Kara Porzuczek with comments at kmporzuczek@bsu.edu