Ball State alumnus takes New York City by storm

MUNCIE, Ind.(NEWSLINK) --- A Ball State University alumnus from the musical theater program, Wren Rivera, has found success only one year after graduating.

From a small conservative town in Northwest Indiana to the melting pot of the world, Rivera took a big leap and decided to move to New York City, and that’s where it all began.

“I was in my U-Haul when I got a call from my agent saying that I booked a television show and they were like 'Are you in New York, and how fast can you get here?'

Rivera laughed.

"I’m literally moving to New York right now like I’m in the U-Haul, and they were like great," Rivera said.

That was just the beginning of their success as they would get a call that same exact week that they had booked a callback for a Broadway musical, Jagged Little Pill based off the 1995 Alanis Morisette album.

Rivera battled a crazy schedule but was able to both film for the television show, We Crashed, and attend and make it through all the Broadway call backs. They eventually were casted as Jo’s cover/ensemble in the show and began rehearsals with all the new cast members.

One day the head stage manager, Ira Mont, came up to Wren and asked them to chat with them for a minute after rehearsal. Scared of what they were going to be told they continued hours more of rehearsal anticipating what was to come.

“I go over to him and he’s like, 'So I’ve been talking with directors and the choreographer and if you would like to we’d like you to join the main cast for the Tony’s,'” Rivera stated. “I was like 'OK… yeah I think I would like to do that please.'"

Rivera would go onto make their Broadway debut on the Tony Awards. This award show is an annual ceremony recognizing excellence in Broadway theater.

Bill Jenkins, the department head of the Ball State School of Theatre and Dance, only had kind words to describe his past student.

“First of all, Wren was always a beautiful soul, an exquisitely talented actor, and someone who ultimately had that special thing you cannot teach,” Jenkins said.

Rivera lives their life fully as themselves and wears their heart on their sleeve. They have future projects and auditions coming up, this past year was the beginning of an exciting career to come.

Contact Kara Porzuczek with comments at kmporzuczek@bsu.edu.