Where to get a COVID-19 booster shot or test in Muncie

<p>Those ages 18 or older are eligible for a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot at least six months after their second, and a Johnson &amp; Johnson booster shot at least two months after their first. Vice President of Student Affairs Ro-Anne Royer Engle strongly encouraged students in an email Dec. 20 to receive their shot. <strong>Unsplash, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Those ages 18 or older are eligible for a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot at least six months after their second, and a Johnson & Johnson booster shot at least two months after their first. Vice President of Student Affairs Ro-Anne Royer Engle strongly encouraged students in an email Dec. 20 to receive their shot. Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

Since Dec. 9, 2021, individuals ages 16 or older who received a full series of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine are eligible for a third booster shot at least six months after their second dose. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky said in a statement such a move will help “strengthen the protection against Omicron and other variants.”

Individuals ages 18 or older have been eligible for either a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot since Nov. 19, as well as a second Johnson & Johnson dose at least two months after their first.

Vice President of Student Affairs Ro-Anne Royer Engle strongly encouraged students in a campus-wide email Dec. 20 to receive a booster shot before returning to campus in the spring, should they be eligible for one. 

She also said students who are not fully vaccinated are required to submit a negative COVID-19 test result within seven days of returning to campus — they are also required to self-quarantine between the day that test is administered and the day they return to campus. The form to submit a negative test will open Jan. 3, according to the email.

Here is a list of places in Muncie to receive a COVID-19 booster shot or test:

Delaware County Health Department 125 N. Mulberry St., Muncie, IN 47305

The Delaware County Health Department offers Moderna and Pfizer booster shots Monday to Friday. Located in downtown Muncie, the Health Department also offers other adult and child immunizations, as well as the seasonal flu vaccine. 

Interprofessional Community Clinic 1613 W. Riverside Ave., Muncie, IN 47303

The College of Health’s Interprofessional Community Clinic is located at the Health Professions Building on campus. This site administers the Moderna booster exclusively, and is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays. The clinic accepts both appointments and walk-in visits. Aside from serving the university student population, the clinic also welcomes the general public.

IU Health Pavilion Community Pharmacy 2401 W. University Ave. OMP 1635, Muncie, IN 47303

The IU Health Pavilion Community Pharmacy, located in the lobby of the Outpatient Medical Pavilion at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital, is offering Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson booster shots. The hospital also has a drive-through testing site off of University Avenue — the site administers standard tests that will see results in one to three days. Patients must be symptomatic prior to the appointment unless they are required to receive a test due to an upcoming procedure — as such, an order from a provider is required.

Meridian Health Services Muncie 100 N. Tillotson Ave., Muncie, IN 47304

Meridian Health Services Muncie has three COVID-19 testing options for patients — a standard test, which reports results in two to three days; a rapid test, which reports results in 15 minutes; and an antibody test, which can let patients know whether they’ve had the virus and developed an immunity. The antibody test requires a blood sample and reports results within two to three days. As with all sites, testing is provided at no charge to the patient. 

Open Door Health Services 333 S. Madison St., Muncie, IN 47305

Open Door Health Services is providing Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson booster shots from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays and 12 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays. Although appointments are not required, they are strongly encouraged. 

Open Door Urgent Care 1651 W. 29th St., Muncie, IN 47302

Open Door Urgent Care is providing Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson booster shots by appointment only. A drive-through testing site is also open to patients by appointment — individuals are asked to bring their insurance card, but it is not a prerequisite.

Walgreens Various locations

Walgreens locations throughout Muncie are offering COVID-19 testing for individuals ages 3 and up. Testing is available by appointment only, and patients must show their confirmation email, state ID or driver’s license and insurance card or voucher when arriving. A list of locations and appointment sign-ups can be found on the Walgreens website.

To find other Indiana testing sites in your county, visit the Indiana State Department of Health website.

Engle also said Ball State will make rapid-antigen testing available Jan. 6 through 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Worthen Arena. Students may sign up for this testing on a first-come, first-served basis beginning Jan. 3.

Students who have not already confirmed their fully vaccinated status to the university are asked to do so on the Pre-Arrival Testing Plan for Spring 2022 web page before returning for the spring semester. If you have already confirmed this, no further action is required.

If you have not yet received your COVID-19 vaccine, you can find a vaccination location near you and sign up for an appointment at ourshot.in.gov.