Muncie’s hidden gem is waiting to be explored!

Minnetrista Cultural Center has something to do, see, and experience for everyone!

Voted Muncie’s ‘Best Hidden Gem,’ ‘Best Local Attraction,’ ‘Best Event Center/Venue,’ and ‘Best Museum/Gallery’ in the Reader’s Choice Best of 2021 survey - Minnetrista offers so much more than meets the eye. It was built on the legacy of a four-year study of the cultural needs of East Central Indiana by the Ball Family. In 1988, the Minnetrista Cultural Center opened its doors as a state-of-the-art facility to preserve East Central Indiana’s cultural heritage.

Today, we continue to preserve the cultural heritage of East Central Indiana, working to nurture a thriving community that takes pride in its accomplishments and strives for a brighter future. Our calendar and campus are filled with educational programs, experiences, workshops, exhibits, and community events. Find out how you can explore Muncie’s ‘Hidden Gem’ below.

Attractions

Minnetrista’s campus is your year-round gathering place. Whether exploring our exhibits and historic homes, or meandering our trails, visiting our campus will help you find a moment outside of the every day where discovery, imagination, and learning are core. Take a look at some of our attractions at Minnetrista:

Gallery Exhibits

Various exhibits are featured in Minnetrista’s three gallery spaces. These exhibits cater to all different age-groups and interests, emphasizing art, history, and interactive experiences. Minnetrista designs in-house exhibits as well as hosting out-of-town traveling exhibits. Our exhibits are always rotating and changing to ensure that there is always something new for you to discover!

Our exhibits include:

• Celebtraing Service
  • Bob Ross At Home: Artist, Teacher, Friend
  • A Brush with Nature
  • FIX: Heartbreak and Hope Inside Our Opioid Crisis

Find out more about our current exhibits.

The Bob Ross Experience

Explore the life, philosophy, and art of the iconic American painter inside the historic home where The Joy of Painting was filmed. The immersive exhibit features original paintings and artifacts, inspiring visitors with Bob’s message of fearless creativity. Find out more about The Bob Ross Experience

The Orchard Shop

This unique and charming shopping experience offers you a one-stop for local artisan goods. Explore one-of-a-kind creations or a sip of our famous cider while you enjoy our rotating inventory of original artwork, pottery, home décor, children’s toys, local goods, and assorted sweets. The Orchard Shop is the perfect place to find gifts for a loved one or something special to treat yourself. 

Gardens and Nature Areas

Minnetrista’s beautiful campus is made up of three areas that offer the perfect spots to relax, enjoy the great outdoors, and experience life.

The Nature Zone will take you on a journey through three of Indiana’s native habitats. Walking down these trails, you will find a tall-grass prairie, woodlands, and wetlands.

The Center Zone is where the main campus and Orchard Shop are located, along with a lush, expansive lawn perfect for outdoor activities and picnics.

The Oakhurst Zone is where the Ball family’s homes, the charming Oakhurst gardens, and many hidden gems, including our Colonnade Garden, Betty’s Cabin, walking paths, and more.

Events

As Muncie’s year-round gathering place has a roster of educational programs, engaging workshops, community events, and interactive exhibits is always changing. Take a look at some of our upcoming events and discover new ways to learn, play, explore, and shop at Minnetrista.

Farmers Market at Minnetrista

Discover a wide variety of fresh, local produce, meats, eggs, baked goods, jams, and more at the Farmers Market at Minnetrista. This is the perfect way to enjoy local while supporting local!

Bob Ross Painting Workshops

Paint with a Certified Ross Instructor on the site where Bob painted for years. This workshop is the perfect opportunity to get creative and learn to paint like Bob. Just bring yourself and we will provide everything you need to have a great time. Just like Bob said, “Let’s get crazy!”

Glass Workshops

Take your creativity to new levels with our hands-on glass-making workshops. This spring, you’ll have the chance to make fused glass bowls, fused glass wind chimes, Easter eggs, and solid sculpted florals.  All tools, supplies, and safety gear are provided, and the workshop welcomes both beginners and intermediate level glass workers. 

Brunches at Minnetrista

You will have the choice of a variety of delicious pastries, made to order omelets, scrumptious side dishes, and more! Come enjoy your Sunday morning with us and let us do the cooking!

Find out more about our upcoming events.

With a forty-acre campus filled with attractions and events throughout the year, Minnetrista is your year around gathering place. Whether you are a first-time visitor or have been coming for years, there is always more to do, see, and explore at Minnetrista. To find your perfect adventure, plan your visit today, and we hope to see you soon!