How to winterize your car this season

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) -- According to the Federal Highway Administration, 24% of weather-related vehicle crashes occur on snowy, slushy or icy pavement. Some crashes can even leave people stranded or unable to leave their vehicle because of harsh conditions. With the expected snowfall this weekend, now is the most important time to make sure your car is "winterized" for the chilly season.

That includes making sure your vehicle is equipped with winter or all-season tires and a general safety inspection. There are also items you should keep in your car year-round. This includes but isn't limited to jumper cables, a flashlight, first aid kit, window breaker and extra fluids such as antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid.

But when it comes to cold temperatures, experts say you might want to stash up on a bit more. 

According to this graphic from Kane and Silverman Personal Injury Lawyers, there are sixteen essential tools you should consider keeping in the cabin of your vehicle. Some of those items include at least a half tank of gas, reflectors, road flares and of course, an ice scraper.

For those with four-wheel drive vehicles, you may think your car is more capable of driving in snow and ice, but that might not always be the case. Four-wheel drive is a great feature for driving through thick snow, however, no matter what tires or car feature you have, ice can cause any car to slip.

Thinking about leaving your keys in the ignition and walking back inside to let it warm up? Think again. Experts say this is a common mistake that can give car thieves a hassle-free way to take off with your ride.