Recovery Cafe supports people in need of meals and assistance

“It’s pretty crazy man. My life has been pretty hectic, but it’s because I made it that way.” Says Michael Burton, a lifelong Muncie resident.

Burton has not always been on a good path. “I’ve always been out there in the middle of the streets doing things, I got into trouble. It saved my life, I’m glad it happened because otherwise I don’t know where I would be.” 

That was until he found the Recovery Cafe, a place that supports people who are recovering from substance abuse, homelessness, or mental health challenges. They serve free meals Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. The Muncie Mission supplies the food on these days. Not only do they offer food, they also offer recovery circles where people can work with recovery coaches and work through their problems. They also set goals each week, and talk about their gratitudes. 

“Each recovery circle has to set a challenge and they discuss their challenges with the recovery coach” says Windy Thompson, recovery cafe program coordinator. 

For people who are considering coming to the cafe, burton has a message for them. 

“Once you start doing the right thing, that will make you feel better than drugs ever will. I promise you that.” 

It first starts with who you surround yourself with. 

“Watch who you surround yourself with, try to get away from people with bad habits," said Burton. 

The Recovery Cafe says seeing the progress of these individuals is the best part. 

“Just to hear the progress to day one to now, it’s amazing” says Thompson. 

For more information on how you can volunteer or become a member of the cafe, you can visit their website at recoverycafemuncie.org 

Contact Terra Konieczny with any questions or comments at tbkonieczny@bsu.edu.