Tech Startup Weekend comes to Muncie

<p>Ball State students Jordyn Gasser, Brenna Callahan, Sophia Chaillé and Kevin Zabala work on their startup business at Startup Weekend Oct. 8, 2021. Groups were typically four to six people. <strong>Richard Kann, DN</strong></p>

Ball State students Jordyn Gasser, Brenna Callahan, Sophia Chaillé and Kevin Zabala work on their startup business at Startup Weekend Oct. 8, 2021. Groups were typically four to six people. Richard Kann, DN

Tech Startup Weekend was hosted this weekend at 115 S. Walnut St. Oct. 8 - 10. Dozens of participants, majorly Ball State students, participated in the events to learn about entrepreneurship and creating a startup company.

Startup Weekend is a 54-hour community event that teaches people how to conceptualize, build and launch a startup company. At the event, participants were tasked with conceiving and pitching a business idea and then developing it in a crunched period of time. 

Participants work in groups on their ideas at the Accutech Building in Muncie, Oct. 8, 2021. Tech Startup Weekend invited aspiring entrepreneurs to get their business ideas off the ground. Richard Kann, DN

Participants worked in groups and were able to communicate with mentors to improve their ideas or development processes. On top of this, teams prepared presentations to be judged in three categories: user validation, technical execution and business model. Finally, the top three teams were named and rewarded for their merits and advised to advance their startup.

"My favorite part is getting to work with other college students on our ideas," said Sophia Chaillé, entrepreneurship student at Ball State. 

Other participants said they enjoyed getting creative by conceiving new ideas and bringing them to life.

"My favorite part of the event is seeing people progress and watching people who didn't think they had any ideas come up with great ideas,” said Krystal Geyer, an organizer of the event and assistant director of the Entrepreneurship Center at Ball State.  "I also love that they get to see what entrepreneurship is like and watching them apply what they learn to their ideas."

Contact Richard Kann at richard.kann@bsu.edu.