Working for an inclusive campus

MUNCIE, Ind. (Newslink) -- Ball State University is working toward creating an inclusive campus. Many efforts have been made like Day of Dialogue, moving the Multicultural Center to the center of campus, highlighting cultures at the David Owsley Museum of Art and more.  

Recently SAFEZONE, a voluntary network of faculty, students, and community members started in 2019, is encouraging students and members of the community to attend ally and advocate training sessions. 

“It’s important for individuals who may not have ever encountered people from other communities, backgrounds or experiences to gain skills and knowledge of how to best be allies and support those communities,” said SAFEZONE Coordinator Kiara John. 

John believes that we can always work to change and grow to be better community members for people in marginalized communities. 

The next SAFEZONE training is on Oct. 4 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Additionally, SAFEZONE is not the only place on campus working towards spreading equality and celebrating different cultures. 

The David Owsley Museum of Art is highlighting African American art through the Memories and Inspiration exhibition from Sept. 23 to Dec. 22.  

The exhibit allows students to see varying African American art from the last 100 years. 

“I think it’s important to acknowledge all the different cultures on campus, and African-American art acknowledges that particular culture. I think that if students come to see that, they’ll realize how wide, varying, important and significant African-American art is as a part of the entire picture of the world of art,” said Director of the David Owsley Museum of Art Robert La France.  

La France mentioned how there are a variety of cultures represented at the David Owsley Museum of Art. 

To learn more about the exhibit, as well as the SAFEZONE trainings, visit bsu.edu or email artmuseum@bsu.edu and SAFEZONE@BSU.EDU.  

For questions or comments, contact the author at klsehgal@bsu.edu.