Students and organizers share hopes for Family Weekend 2021

<p>A Ball State mom plays cornhole at the tailgate on Sept. 14, 2019, outside Scheumann Stadium. Charlie Town, located near the Alumni Center, is one tailgating opportunity for families and visitors. <strong>Jacob Musselman, DN File</strong></p>

A Ball State mom plays cornhole at the tailgate on Sept. 14, 2019, outside Scheumann Stadium. Charlie Town, located near the Alumni Center, is one tailgating opportunity for families and visitors. Jacob Musselman, DN File

To view a list of family weekend activities, click here.

A quarter of the fall 2021 semester has already passed, and many students, especially freshmen, could be feeling homesick. With a little more than two weeks to go until fall break, Ball State is giving families an opportunity to reconnect at its annual Family Weekend Sept. 24-26, complete with a home football game, Emens Auditorium show, children’s events and other activities. 

“We believe it is important for families, friends and guests to learn more about the organizations, people and places that have become so important to their students,” said Travis Peters, associate director of the Student Center and programs. “This weekend also allows our students to reconnect with their loved ones, who they may not have seen since move-in.” 

Emma Doud, freshman pre-pharmacy major, said her family will visit Sept. 26 from Scottsburg, Indiana. Doud said she wants to show her mom, dad, brother, sister and her sister’s boyfriend some of her favorite spots on campus, specifically the duck pond and the Quad.

“Those spots are very beautiful and serene,” Doud said. “I plan on just showing them around to different parts of the campus that I really like.”

Kenyalle Ford, junior psychological science major, said her family is traveling from Indianapolis to watch the Cardinals play Toledo Sept. 25.

“We’re for sure going to the football game and tailgating,” she said. “I’m looking forward to tailgating and eating good food.”

One of the biggest events happening on campus for Family Weekend is the “The Price is Right Live” at 3 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 26 at Emens Auditorium. Kristi Chambers, assistant director of marketing and communications at Emens Auditorium, said audience members will have a chance to win a variety of prizes, just like they would in the game show.

“Attendees will be eligible for the chance to hear their names called and ‘come on down’ to win prizes including appliances, vacations or even a new car,” Chambers said via email. “‘The Price is Right Live’ is open to the general public, so families are encouraged to attend … Everyone who registers is eligible to become a contestant and potentially win fantastic prizes.”

While tickets for the Emens show range between $31 and $51, there are plenty of free activities  families can participate in as well, including the David Owsley Museum of Art, guided tours of the Rinard Orchid Greenhouse, Late Nite at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center and a children’s fair on the University Green.

Some brunches and socials are also scheduled for specific groups of people, including the Honors College backyard social and the alumni scholarship recipient brunch, both scheduled for Sept. 25.

Maisy Fields, freshman environmental geoscience major, is inviting 13 members of her family to campus for Family Weekend, including five of her younger siblings. Five members of her family will attend the alumni scholarship recipient brunch with her, all of whom are Ball State alumni. Fields herself is a third-generation Ball State student.

“I’m definitely going to show them around the Quad, and, of course, the Village,” Fields said. “Though most of my family has seen Ball State in person, none of my siblings have, so I cannot wait to show them around campus.”

Contact Ariana Otten with comments at arotten@bsu.edu. Contact Shwetha Sundarrajan with comments at ssundarrajan@bsu.edu or on Twitter @fengshwe.