Ball State freshmen look ahead to the start of the school year

<p>Ball State students play pool, Aug. 20, 2021 inside the new North West Hall. The newly-opened residence hall is home to music, humanities and education living-learning communities. <strong>Rylan Capper, DN </strong></p>

Ball State students play pool, Aug. 20, 2021 inside the new North West Hall. The newly-opened residence hall is home to music, humanities and education living-learning communities. Rylan Capper, DN

Amid moving in to dorm rooms, residence hall floor meetings, the activity fair and freshman convocation, Ball State's class of 2025 is looking ahead to the start of the fall 2021 semester.

Sarah Barker, freshman international business major from Granger, Indiana, moved in to her Studebaker West room Aug. 19 with her roommate Nicki Southern, freshman undecided major. Barker and Southern became best friends at Penn High School and wanted to room together to continue their friendship. Barker said she is excited for classes to start Aug. 23 to fill her free time.

"I'm excited — there's been a lot of downtime these past few days, so I just want to have something to do," Barker said.

Though the two roommates have been walking around campus during their first weekend in the residence halls, Southern said she is nervous to try to find where her classrooms are.

"Once I find may way around, I think it will be better," Southern said.

Students and their families stand in the rain Aug. 19, 2021 near the Park Residence Hall and Woodworth Complex. During scattered thunderstorms on move-in day, residence assistants and desk staff provided plastic tarps to try to keep students' belongings dry. Grace McCormick, DN

Nathan Koon, freshman political science and economics double major from Carmel, Indiana, moved into his DeHority Complex room Aug. 21, which he said was an easy process because of the residence hall's availability of move-in carts.

"I was able to move all my stuff up no problem," he said.

After the Aug. 22 freshman convocation, Koon said he planned to walk his schedule for his first day of classes to locate all his classroom buildings.

"I know it's the most freshman thing, but I have to do it," Koon said. "I am looking forward to walking around and doing my own thing for once and having freedom."