Muncie community welcomes Buyer's Market to the Muncie Mall

<p>The outside of the Muncie Mall&#x27;s newest store, Buyer&#x27;s Market, is seen with its grand opening banner. The Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce hosted a ribbon-cutting June 18, 2021. <strong>City of Muncie, Photo Provided</strong></p>

The outside of the Muncie Mall's newest store, Buyer's Market, is seen with its grand opening banner. The Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce hosted a ribbon-cutting June 18, 2021. City of Muncie, Photo Provided

Learn more about Buyer's Market

• The store has a 10-percent student discount on Thursdays with a valid student ID. Members of the military and seniors can receive 10 percent off their purchases each Wednesday.
  • Buyer's Market is open Wednesdays through Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. The store is closed Mondays and Tuesdays for restocking.
  • The Buyer's Market Facebook page offers sneak peeks at new arrivals and markdowns.
  • Sign up for deal alerts online.

Source: Carlie Bounds, Buyer’s Market communications director

Customers can find discounted merchandise of name brand clothing, home accessories and other unique finds here in Muncie. Buyer’s Market is the newest store to come to the Muncie Mall and has moved into the old JCPenney location. 

Buyer’s Market purchases secondary market goods from major brands and retailers. Merchandise may include overstock, insurance salvage, customer returns, out-of-season goods, bankruptcy purchases and more. These goods are purchased for less than wholesale value, allowing those savings to be passed to customers. 

Buyer’s Market Communications Director Carlie Bounds said the store’s inventory varies daily and its sale prices depend on what products are bought and received. She said the Muncie community has welcomed the business with open arms. 

“We are enjoying meeting new customers and introducing them to the great deals we provide,” Bounds said via email. 

Buyer’s Market carries name brand apparel, footwear, houseware, furniture, health and beauty products, food, linens, home improvement and more. The store receives new shipments often, restocks shelves daily and takes markdowns to reduce prices every week.

“You never know what you might find,” Bounds said.

Buyer’s Market is different from other retailers because it offers merchandise at prices much lower than other shops. 

“Our selection changes daily and we take markdowns often,” Bounds said. “An item could be in stock today, but gone tomorrow, creating an exciting, ‘buy it when you see it’ shopping experience.”

Bounds said the store merchandise is shipped directly to the in-store warehouse. This allows the store team to process and stock merchandise directly to the sales floor, ensuring new deals daily. Through the buying process, staff are able to offer discounted name brand merchandise and unique finds customers might not usually see in the local area.

The inside of Buyer's Market in the Muncie Mall is seen July 18, 2021. The new store moved into the old JCPenny location and opened its doors in June. Iris Tello, DN

Alexandria, Indiana resident Olivia Moore was with her mom, Misty Moore, at Buyer’s Market July 18. Olivia Moore is a media student at Indiana University and went to Buyer’s Market in search of new bedding for her new apartment in Bloomington, Indiana. 

“We both think the store is pretty interesting, but you have to search through a lot of stuff,” Misty Moore said. “A lot of the boxes are still taped, so we can't see inside, which is hard, because I'm pretty sure there's good deals in there, but we feel like we can't open the boxes.” 

Olivia and Misty Moore said people who like browsing and searching for good deals would enjoy the store. Olivia Moore said she was at the Muncie Mall the week before she came back to Buyer’s Market, noticed the new store and wanted to check it out with her mom. 

Misty Moore said she thinks Buyer’s Market will be beneficial for bringing business to the Muncie Mall, especially customers of socioeconomic diversity because of its inexpensive prices.

“It's sad to see how malls are going downhill,” she said. “My first job was in a mall, and that's when they were really booming.”

Albany, Indiana resident Kimberly Frasier was also shopping July 18 and was drawn to Buyer’s Market because she needed new work clothes. She said it was her first time visiting the store. 

“I think we need something to fill the mall to keep people coming to the mall — and [Buyer’s Market has] some cute name brand clothing,” Frasier said. 

Frasier said she hopes the Muncie Mall will open new stores soon because she would hate to see it close down. 

Muncie resident Katie Combs said she came to the store with her husband after he discovered the place on his own.

“My husband actually took me here today [July 18], just to show me around,” Combs said. “And then he said that was the biggest mistake he’s ever made because I came out of here in 20 minutes with $200 worth of clothes and I’m back for more.”

Combs said the clothes were what interested her most about the store. She hopes to see more decorative items like plants and table accents when she comes back. Though the store has some home goods, Combs said she would like to see more of a variety. 

Contact Iris Tello with comments at idtello@bsu.edu or on Twitter @idtello98.