Downtown Muncie restoration group hosts classic car show

Hot rods and hot weather were aplenty Saturday as Muncie held its first-ever classic car show downtown along Walnut Street.

The event featured more than 100 different classic cars, ranging from the Chevrolet Camaro to the Ford Model A, and just about every other muscle car or truck in between.

The car show’s organizers and sponsors offered numerous prizes for those who registered vehicles, including dash plaques for the first 200 entries, trophies for the Top 25 cars, a Platinum Sponsor’s Choice Award and a Longest Distance award.

The show also provided a chance for people to show off some of their most prized possessions.

Dan Lowman, participant in the car show and owner of a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, said the car has been with his family in pristine condition since 1969.

“It’s all original,” Lowman said. “It’s all what they call a ‘numbers-matching,’ original car.”

The event was started as a part of the Muncie Downtown Development Partnership’s (MDDP) plan to bring more economic and cultural growth to the downtown area through its “Embrace the Original” campaign.

“Folks have been asking for a downtown car show for a long time,” said Cheryl Crowder, MDDP event director. “Downtown is an ideal location because there are lots of things to do to keep people entertained and lots of pavement for parking cars.”

The event allowed participants and attendees to not only see old cars, but old friends as well.

“I’ve talked to people I haven’t talked to in 25 years,” said Larry New, participant in the car show and owner of a 1931 Ford Model A. “It’s really been enjoyable just looking at the cars and meeting different people.”

The car show also offered food vendors, merchandise booths, live entertainment and a raffle for those in attendance.

Crowder said proceeds from the show will go to the MDDP, as well as Secret Families and Home Savers of Delaware County — two other local nonprofit organizations. She said the MDDP’s portion of the proceeds will be used for future MDDP events.

For participants, the first downtown classic car show was an encouraging sign for future events. 

Lowman said, “I hope they can do it again and make it grow and make it bigger.”

Contact Clayton McMahan with comments at cdmcmahan@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ClaytonMcMahan_.